Sign in to follow this  
tabbeus

Sap coming from knots

Question

I imagine there is something about this somewhere. I searched for "sap" and returned nothing. I did a deck about 3 months ago. The deck was stained last summer but looked horrible and over the deck was about 2 years old. The customers called and said there is sap coming up at the knots all over the deck. What is the best way to handle this? They are going to pay me to fix it because they are having a party this weekend and want it looking pristine. I was just going to put some stuff from Autozone that softens sap on it, pressure wash it off, then recoat the whole base. Is there an easier way? Any reccomended cleaning solutions? Or just a thread link? Thanks

Thad

7 answers to this question

You can sand it scrape it then touch up.What stain did then you use?

Also you can use some lacquer thinner to desolve it let it dry then touch up.

It's not uncommon for sap to leach out of the knots.This may continue to happen so only replacing the boards will solve it.

What did you use to clean it with to begin with?

What did you coat it with?

What type of wood is it?

I usually remove the sap with goof off. The problem may occur a time or two until the sap is exhausted for within.

Rod!~

I didn't use anything to clean it, straight water. I stained the deck with Deckscapes Redwood. Today I went and got most of it off with some laquer thinner. I am going to recoat it in a few days. Thanks for the help.

The reason I asked those questions is that you really cannot do that. The original oil has cured and all you are going to end up with is a film forming top coat which will stay shiny for probably a week and then eventually begin to peel. You will have to strip what you already laid down for the work to last more than six months.

I recoated it this morning and read your post after I got back. Will Deckscapes peel? I feel like I have done that before and it hasn't peeled but maybe not. Well I hope that is doesn't, but thanks for the advice and for looking out for a fellow PW. Ciao