Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Who & how

I posted in another thread that my lack of knowledge & skills, such as computer skills, organizational, office skills etc are holding my company back.

I know I've posted before about my lack of skills and some have replied, with helpful hints & ideas and have offered to talk to me. The problem is nothing has changed or improved at all for me when it comes to the above lack of skills.

I was going to have one of my workers help with this, but no time to dedicate my worker to this.

I know JL pressure Washing could be really big company and possibly corner the market for certain kinds of PWing in this area, BUT! My Office work, everything is so crude and non existent. It really is a mess and it amazes me I haven't screwed something up. I hate holding my self, my business back so much. I mean I have to re-do things, have list all over hell I don't even really have a computer address book and so much more, it would be embarrassing to show anyone

My question is is there any kind of service, person or company I could call and possibly hire to come in and organize, set up things, etc.

I dont want and can't afford 10's of thousands of dollars to hire this type of person and I really dont need at this time a fulltime employee to this kind of work. I'm willing to pay whats needed, just hope to keep it within thousands not 10's of thousands.Im thinking getting someone for several weeks and jut start chipping away at what needs to be done to get me in the real world. I'll never be able to do it alone or be able to learn all of it, so I need help

Any suggestions who or what kind of service i need

JL

Hey Jeff...sounds like you need 3 things: A computer, Quickbooks, and a part time bookkeeper. You could post an ad at a local college and get a part time student really inexpensively. You could also hire a part time BK relatively cheap. I don't know how busy you are, but I can't imagine you couldn't get by with 20 hours a week or so. Consider this scenario as well if you have any friends in the same position...My wife worked in the corporate world until we had our children. She decided to stay home and raise them. We had several friends that were in your position, small business with no one to manage the books, paperwork, etc. She now works from home and has made a living doing exactly what you're looking for. My point is that maybe you can find a stay at home parent looking to earn some extra cash, or even a retiree (they are GREAT workers). The FIRST thing you must do is get a reliable computer with good accounting software (I HIGHLY recommend Quickbooks). Hope that helps...

- John

Jeff, I sometimes have the same problem that you do. So. let me give you some ideas of some things that are helpful to me. My wife swears that I am the most unorganized man she has ever known. I have a box that I put all receipts in. I have lots of file cabinets, my wife and I have organized these beautifully, all files labled & organized in certain cabinets. I have a eraseable white board that is a calender/monthly planner. We both write on the board everything we have going on, personal for her, me, kids, & Supreme Clean. I also have another white board that we scribble other notes. I have to do this because I have some kind of disorder, my wife swears that mental disorder anylist's have not seen this before, so we don't know what to call it. I also have & use a calender book, 2 or 3 spiral bound notebooks that I carry with me at all times. I have to write down things all the time. One of the things that I have started doing is writing down phone calls that I make; ie company name, person I talked to, subject discussed, time, date. Alot of times, I have to stop on the side of the road & write things down, whether it's for personal or business. I also use Quickbooks Pro w/ Quickbooks Customer Manager. Every couple of months, I'll take 2-3 hours out of my time, get my note books out & put things down in it, especially customer info. I also write letters to people that I have done bids & done jobs for.

I am not some organizational guru, I am actually a complete mess (ask my wife), so I have to really put my mind to getting things organized. I give all of the credit to my wife, who has taught me more about organization and usually give me a swift kick in the a$$ to get things rolling. I do alot more things that help keep things organized, just can't think of them right now.

Jeff, I remember last tax season you posting about goning thru all your reciepts and being so unorganized and hating every minute of it. I see nothing has changed, you do need help....lol

But I can't really help you, some guys are neat and organized and some guys aren't. I am anal about neatness and organization. I label and file everything, I have a box in my truck where I throw receipts in the heat of the moment but within several days I'll take them to my desk and record them all in the expense portion of my accounting book. I'm still small enough that I do everything manually. Anytime I'm on the phone I have a notepad and pen and I'm writing everything down the customer or prospect is saying so I don't forget. Once I do a job for them, I file a copy of the estimate, agreement, invoice, and even the chicken scratch paper I had from the first phone call. I keep a daily planner in my truck and write down every appointment, estimate, job or whatever. That's one of my weak points, remembering things, so that's why I write down everything.

I think your problem is time Jeff, not so much a lack of skill. If you had time you could read some accounting and computers for dummie books and teach yourself. But in the mean time I think you'll find someone to help you, good luck.

Guys thanks. if it was not for my large day planner I'd already be out of biz. My day planner and a couple small note books are my bible. I run my whole biz out of the day planner and I do write everything down. A great deal of my problem is, as I've said before I'm a computer idiot. I type with 3 to 5 fingers and data entry just doesnt get done. Quickbooks had it now for at least 1 year and never used it. Don't know how to use it, tried several times got frustrated and quit, hell i couldn't even get registered to use for a while.

I don't file anything now I stopped over a year ago for some reason, not that my files were any good or complete , but I never got back to doing it. I get a foot or 2 of paper work on my desk, I throw it in a tote just so i don't lose it, but I never see it again unless I'm looking for something. I have a fax bin that is about 3 feet deep and that just the past 8 months or so.

Barry, end of year reciepts YUP big box

I guess I'll just have to hire someone to get my filing started and then keep up with it. As for the computer, I'm lost and always will be pretty much, my brain starts to hurt thinking about it and the lack of knowledge. I'm not a good student never was and I really don't think I can learn it.

This is the same story I wrote a year ago, just have to find time to hire a parttimer to get the ball rolling.

I misplaced my Dayplanner once and couldnt find it for hours, I was in a panic. I found it thank God. It has every tele# in the world, schedules for annual, quartely biannual cleanings. My Dayplanner if people I know don't see me with it, they ask where is it. My wife & other will say when i go somewhere don't forget your dayplanner or where is it. Its like the nuclear suit case the President carries with him, lose it and it could be the end of the world:lgsad:

I just am so frustrated, my time is wasted sometimes by the way I do things and I just dont have time to waste these day.

I was just wondering if theres a service for fools like me.

I'm laughing reading this over, same old story for JL:lgbonk:

I know at a small company I used to work for they used to scan in all the invoices to a computer and create files for them. I am working on something like that.

Celeste you need to tell my wife that!!!!

I run the entire shooting match and she wonders why I am always doing work!

Thats funny, my wife used to ***** about me spending time in the office too. I had to put her in her place after hearing it to many times. She is supportive & great about it now, but little actual help! Diapers are coming with the new baby coming, I'll be spending more time in the office. I hate changing diapers.

Fly me up there for a weekend and throw in a round of golf and I will teach you Quickbooks & help you with office Ideas. Once you get a system down have a young lady keep up with it part time Collage kids are great. ACT program is a great program to keep your contacts and customers in.

This is good information towards my franchise goal. Thank you for being candid. I expect there ar many guys out there that stay successful in spite of themselves but operating without strict budgeting, organized paper work, refined marketing and a business plan will hinder your growth.

Go to a business management company and let them know your budget. Have someone organize your systems, teach you time management and setup your software. be as honest as you always are and they will set you up with a system you can live with and implement. Even if they only stay with you for a couple of weeks I think the lessons will last you a life time.

If you fail to get a hold of this now, three years from now you will be doing twice as much work and only making half as much as you should be.

I hate to be a whiny baby, but I'm trying to a search and I realize I really don't know how to properly search anything on the net. I can't find anything on this except CPA's etc. If I had a magic wand I'd get rid of all computers in the entire world so everybody had to do everything on paper like me ARRRRGGGGGG

Just pissing & moaning, I'll find something

Some its just stress, the builders have been a constant battle, which I'm finally winning, the heat, the pregnant wife. Man 2006 is a hell of a year. It really is a great year, just so darn much to stay on top of.

I can't complain I am staying on top of it ( Just barely some days) I got everything I ever wanted which is a great family & health

I'm glad I have this place to vent sometimes and get great info. Thanks all

Back to my search. Hey I think I used a new finger to type with, thats 5 or 6 finger typing now yay LOL

JL

Life is good

Jeff, I'll come down, teach you and your other half :) Richard, send your new bride up here and we'll get her educated on support as well.

I know Beth and some other wife/partners will back me up here - if you are both heavily involved, it is an enormous advantage. Maybe we need to start a wive's forum just so those of us that are working in the business can help support this type of newbie :) PWWSS (Power Washing Wives Support System)

One thing I will say, I have no marketing or accounting background other than fundraising for my kids PTA's, organizing class parties and paying household expenses - this background has worked our abnormally well for our small company - your wives know way more than they think they do!

Celeste

Jeff,

Once you have Quickbooks set up properly it is easy to use and will save you hours of work.

Here is what you should try. Go to the local community college and find out who teaches the Quickbooks class. Almost all of the community colleges have the class offered. Find out the name and the number of the instructor. I have yet to meet an instructor that doesn't work on the side setting up businesses.

Hire them for a few days to get Quickbooks all set up to run your business and teach you how to enter stuff at the end of each day or week. Once set up you will be shocked at how easy your bookeeping becomes.

Hope this helps.

Keth

Magic Wando Pressure Cleaning

Mount Pleasant, SC

Jeff I believe that the best thing for you is to do this.

Hire a bookkeeper for a few hours of one day per week.

Your CPA should have names for you or even someone from his office. There should be a listing in the phone book yellow pages.

This can be accomplised for between $8.00 to $12.00 an hour and for a good bookkeeper should take max 20 hours to set up computer and file cabinet. And after that just a few hours a week is all that is needed. Yes a collage kid can do this just ensure they have the knowledge. The more they know the less time it will take to service you.

Keep you shoe box and put everthing in it every day. Have your bookkeeper come over the day befor payday and have them do all the imputs and filing. Some will require that you bring the box to them and you will have to file the stuff yourself, when they get done, but if you work with them they will work with you.

It is better than doing this :juggle: or this :banghead: as YOUR COMPANY GROWS.

I know Beth and some other wife/partners will back me up here - if you are both heavily involved, it is an enormous advantage. Maybe we need to start a wive's forum just so those of us that are working in the business can help support this type of newbie :) PWWSS (Power Washing Wives Support System)

Celeste

I think this is a great idea! You offered your number before Celeste, for my wife to call, back in March when I got laid off and went full time. I couldn't get here to call but I think she would visit and post on a forum.

Jeff, I was reading more into your post than just seeking a bookeeper. If you are just seeking a bookeeper Stan's advice is perfect. In addition, look for seminars on Time/Power management and effective employee management. Charles Hobbs offers an excellent seminar on Time Power management. I live by my Daytimer. Attend seminars on personal motivation, sales and marketing techniques for contractors and it will not hurt to take a few business course at the local CC. I have logged hundreds of classroom and seminar hours and every minute of them have helped me become a better businessman.

There is a seminar coming to Myrtle Beach November 11th. Read about it here.

http://www.skillpath.com/seminfo.html/z/29572/SE/os9019/st/MMPPD/OVKEY/seminar/OVMTC/standard/OVRAW/seminars

You guys are killing my chance for golf & a vacation. LOL Anyways this is why this site is great we can all learn from each other with the great advice.

Jeff I would be lost without my Wife not just because she helps out in my business,she juggles 2 very active boys and makes sure I am taking care of. Jeff I feel your pain I am not very organized I am sure I have lost thousands of dollars because of lost receipts. I would put an add in the paper for a part-time bookeeper,3 days a week should get you in shape.

One way to motivate your wife is say if I accomplish this with your help we can do something like take a vacation, go to a lavish rest. , etc. Then have a reward for yourself only. Since I have been in business. I have been able to take my family to Disney and on a cruise. As for my reward I have gone to 2 world series games. And just last friday I bought a 2001 mustang convertible.

This might help getting your wife involved.

As for getting organized you have gotten great advice.

Good luck

Charlie

Jeff, are you near a college?

Our local university has a SBA workcenter that helps small business for FREE!! All you have to do is call for an appointment, and they help you find the things you need to be successful. Free advice from people with the contacts. Maybe your local SBA office can help find a solution.

Jeff,

Once you have Quickbooks set up properly it is easy to use and will save you hours of work.

Here is what you should try. Go to the local community college and find out who teaches the Quickbooks class. Almost all of the community colleges have the class offered. Find out the name and the number of the instructor. I have yet to meet an instructor that doesn't work on the side setting up businesses.

Hire them for a few days to get Quickbooks all set up to run your business and teach you how to enter stuff at the end of each day or week. Once set up you will be shocked at how easy your bookeeping becomes.

Hope this helps.

Keth

Magic Wando Pressure Cleaning

Mount Pleasant, SC

Keth,

Thanks I'll try tht on the quickbooks and a teacher. But then I'd have to clean my desk.lol

I know Quickbooks once its set up would be a great help.

Jeff

You know ALL you folks are GREAT and all are giving me great advice. I really mean it you all are great THANK YOU!

I wish I was like many of you, who know how to do this stuff and who multi tasking this kind of stuff is just second nature, but Im not. I handle a lot just not the easy way. I know I could keep up the filing part if I had someone to help me set up a system and probably handle the quickbooks also if someone could get it set up. As far as going to classes that probably will never happen, I'm just not a good student and dont like class room settings

I'm proud of the fact that I'm at this point in my business, even with all my down falls business wise I have a really good business and profitable. I just know if I get it together better I could have a great biz

So I'm making a plan and I'm going to try to keep it simple, one or two steps at a time. My wife for now isnt an option until I can get her to quit her fulltime job, which probably wont b for another year or two , because her job covers our health insurance plus she has the kids which she is great with and takes care of most of the kid stuff.

My plan

1) Get a good file cabinet - not a cheap one like I have that falls apart and pisses me off

2) Go to my accountant and get our personal check books, accounts, bills etc. in order. My personal stuff is just as bad as biz. I dont balance anything. I just throw money where its needed, Thank God I have money always coming in. My accountant offered to help. Last tax time I told him how screwy my personal & business book keeping is so bad ( he knew of course). He told me I make plenty and I just need a simple system. So I'll be calling the accountant today and get an appointment.

3) Find someone to help set up my Quickbooks and teach me some basics on saving material on my computer and backing it up- call a college teacher or look in the paper - with in next week

4) Get help setting up all my paper work into fiiles. Find/hire someone to help me. Also someone who can stay on top of this all a couple days a week after we have a system.

Now if I can get this done in the next few weeks or even have it all done in a month or two, its a start.

I know my limits and what I will and wont do, so I know I need help and I just have to stop complaining about not knowing how to do this stuff and pay the money to get help. Ive done pretty well with my biz with the little knowledge I have and the hard work Ive done to grow it this far. I know it can be real big with the proper system & help

Once again THANK YOU ALL. Thank God for TGS, you all motivate me and just is great to have a place to vent some of my short comings & problems

Jeff:lgbounces

Jeff,

Try superpages.com to find a business managment company.

I agree with most of the otheres. Use quickbooks, it's so easy once you get it set up. The problem is that quick books is set up to run a small pw company or a huge company and therefore it is intimadating because 90

% of the stuff you see you don't need. Find a quick books class for you and your wife and learn it together and properly file everything.

I would also recommend a book keeper, you probably know one and don't even know it. They can probably organize your companies finances in a few hours a week including payroll - which quickbooks also does. Give someone $25 an hour for 4 hours of time a week and you should be all set. once a month they print a bunch of reports for you and can see everything clear as day as far as performance.

classified,

Book Keeper wanted, 4-6 hours per week, $25 per hour. Quick Books and payroll experience needed. Make your own hours. Call Jeff - Myrtle beach's power washing king.