Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

Hose in the House

Question

Went to give a bid today for a patio. They have no access to the back, except for the house.

I kindly explained that I will not take a hose thru their house, especially considering the white carpet.

They said that it would be okay, but even with a waiver, I would not do it.

Anyone here ever run a hose thru a house? If so, any problems?

16 answers to this question

I once ran one through a basement window but never through a house. I would fear a hose bursting and spewing chems and hot water all over the inside more than the dirt. Do they have a garage, if so run hose through garage and out a window or door to the other side. How much hose are you running? I run 150' all the time but carry an extra 100' in the truck that I sometimes need to get around the big ones. I don't think I would run through the house though too much liability if the unthinkable should happen. Injury to people or even fire hazzard if hose would burst inside. Thing is they can go at any time and you must always be concerened about the possibillity.

Alan,put the high pressure hose inside the 2 inch vacuum line on your trailer and run it through the house,the vacuum line should be clean and if the hose bursts no water will get inside the house.

it never hurts to lay out some drop cloths from the front door to the patio as well.

Tim,

I did give some thought to that, and I have some brand new 2" that I can do it with. I still have this phobia, that if something bad can happen, then that would be the day.

These are townhomes and other than thru the unit, there is no access. The garage let's out in the house, the roof is a metal shingle type, and having walked on them before, I will not do it again, as they bend easy.

The other way is to run 200 feet of hose down the street and around the corner, over the wall in the flood control channel and over their 12 foot wall. I opt for this, but legally I need permission from the flood district to enter their property, and so far, I have not gotten a return call.

i can understand your cautiousness,for the first time in my carreer last month i suffered a $1100 liability charge for something i still dont know how i was held liable for.

this has definately made me more cautious about future projects.

Hi Alan,

We have run into this in the past. Buy or rent a portable machine on wheels. We had to do that several years ago for a similar type job. Just roll the machine to the job and hook up to their water in the back. Running hose thru a house - like you say, is just looking for disaster.

I do have access to a cold water machine, but I need my reclaim stuff in the back too. I can go with Tim's idea, of run the hose in the vac line, but I am very hesitantwhen it comes to any equipment thru a house, and especially with white carpet. Still waiting for a reply from Flood Control.

Just did a job where we had limited access to the rear. Would not go through the house. There are too many disasters waiting to happen. You will find a way to do it right. What every you do, don't go through the house. You will also look much more professional not going through the house. Just my opinion, and experience.

So I hear back from the Flood Control District, and this is what they require. Keep in mind that I only want to run a vacuum hose and pressure hose down a dirt path and will not be driving on their property.

Vehicle Insurance of 1 million

Business Liability of 1 million

Cashiers check for potential property damage of $2,000. (refundable)

$70.00 permit application fee

$50.00 gate key rental charge

Not to mention my time involved in an 80 mile trip to the County offices to do the paperwork.

This was supposed to be a small patio, about 300 sq ft. I was charging $150.00, but after the info from flood control, I would have to increase that to $300.00, to keep my profit margin the same.

One of the things no one mentioned but am sure was on everyone's mind is not if a hose broke and water and chemicals get on the carpet but that hose will whip all over the place breaking whatever it hits.

That would be a major disaster in my mind.

Alan I would pass on this job. One reason I shy away from homeowers other then the owners and employe's of my accounts.

Jon

Alan,

If I was in your boots, since getting a machine to roll into the backyard won't work. What I would do on second thought, get enough brand new non-marking hose in the package and open it up at the site and run that complete hose thru the house over the carpet. Put quick connects on both ends outside and attach whip hose to machine and another to your gun or spinner and have at it.

Good luck and make a fortune