Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Float tank

Is a 200 gallon float tank big enough ? Im buying a new rig it will have a 8GPM hot & a 5.6 cold running off a tank on a 14 ft trailer. Is a 200 gallon tank big enough to keep it going with a hose bib off building water source that puts out 5-8GPM

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff,

Assuming both machines running non-stop...If the spigot gives 5gpm, you will have about 40 minutes of run time. If the spigot gives 8 gpm, you will have about 25 minutes. Both numbers assume you start with a full tank.

My rig is 8gpm, and I usually keep about 100 gallons in the tank as a buffer - and it is usually enough, though there are times... One possible solution for low flow is to run another hose from a different spigot. I'm sure there is some reduced flow when you open the second one, but I have done this numerous times and it works.

John, I think your math is off.

I'd figure it like this, 8gpm + 5.6 gpm= 13.6gpm being used. Bib is putting in 5gpm, net lose of 8.6gpm. Tank holds 200 gal divided by 8.6 = run time of 23 minutes. If bid is putting in 8gpm then the net lose is 5.6gpm. 200 divided by 5.6 = 35+minutes run time. Any increase in bib flow will give an increase in run time, not a decrease.

But I have been wrong before, and will be in the future

Jeff, if the trailer and tow vechicle can handle it, I'd get a 500 gallon tank.