Sign in to follow this  
tdwhitaker

should i go full time

I have been pressure washing for 5 years part time and love the business. I just built a new home and have a new baby boy at home so my business capital is a little low now. Does anyone have anything that could help me with my decision. My biggest fear is that i get out there and my stuff breaks and then i am broke$$$$$$

Hey another Kentuckian...welcome. I'm originally from KY :D

I would suggest reading the book "E-Myth, Revisited" by Michael Gerber. It's a tough decision to make that step.....

I would recommend working part-time, busting your tail, all while saving for a second machine, insurance, etc. Once you have saved enough to make the jump, by a back-up machine to rid you of those worries, and go for it. If youre good at it and represent the industry well, than you will succeed.

There's a difference in 1.making a leap of faith and 2. sitting down and calculating optimal launch angle, velocity and wind speed before you make your leap of faith.

Sorry for the dorky physics analogy, but I think it applies.

That depends. Do you have the customer data base to support you 100%? Do you have the capital reserve to get you through rainy seasons and slow times and pay all your bills in addition to an extra $500 per month for marketing costs?

Relying on a business to perfrom when your capital is low is a good way to achieve one of three things.

1) Bankruptcy

2) Buying yourself a job (desparation for work in low capital times almost always leads to taking on low paying jobs)

3) A ton of sleepless nights

Most likely all the above.

It also depends what your current job is. Big decision on taking that step and like the other guys are saying you better have some capital left over to carry you thru the winter months are you'll be screwed.

TDWhitaker,

Hello, I am Scott and Im just up the road from you. I have some friends in Somerset but know very little about the area. What do you specialize in. I know there a lot of trucks from 75 or do you focus on homes? I would really measure whether the city could support you full time. Ken has a great point on marketing. You will need to have a large gross revenue to afford the contribution margin of full time. One question I have for you is; do you have enough business coming at you now that you need to turn it down because of your current career? Once you have that problem then you should feel more confident.

I think the only true measurement for answering this question is: are you losing money by going to your full time job. Basically does it cost you money to go to work. If the answer is no, you need to read Ken's post 5 or 6 times, then I think your question will be answered.