Sign in to follow this  
MMI Enterprises

Broken burner bolts lead to broken boiler

First the ceramic heat insulation (?) was removed long time ago.

Secondly a burner bolt came loose for a short time making blower fire off to to the side a tad making the small crack.

Thirdly a burner bolt broke resulting in blow torching the boiler front.

Some questions:

The white deposits are likely fuel deposits right?

Would you just weld on a patch sheet of metal since this part is regular steel?

Coil is stainless though isn't it? (shop guy that has never seen it tells me "no way it would be too expensive")

Where do I get and how much should the insulation run? (shop guy said $6 a sq ft. x about 11 ft.) I assume it is special fireproof insulation rather than fiberglass..

But is anyone wrapping between main boiler and the outer skin cover for more protection to equipment or keep more heat in?

post-2209-137772164217_thumb.jpg

post-2209-137772164227_thumb.jpg

Well upon closer inspection after peeling away some of that corroded metal it appears that the inner cone that directs the flame straight up is fine and would block a direct hit via blow torching to that hole. Deisel must have been squirting over rather than spraying and had fire off and on for longer time than I thought.. The coil itself is the type that is only in upper section and it turns out there is some insulation around it and some of the bottom too...

Think I'll clean or change the fuel nozzle as well.

You can put a patch over that hole if it is open to the inside of the coil. Yes you do definately want to wrap the outside of the coil before replaceing the outer skin. Most of your PW suppliers should be able to get you the insulation. I sell it as well for $49.95 it comes 24" tall 5' long and it is 1" thick which will cover a typical coil. Make sure you check the measurements of the coil though because some are taller than others and have a greater circumfrence and may require a special cut piece or an additional section.

Took a couple hours of fabrication but I patched two spots and a few other things that were needing attention..

Still interested if people are wrapping this outer part with regular fiberglass or do we have to use special stuff same as the inside stuff?

post-2209-137772164239_thumb.jpg

That looks like an adequate patch job, good work.

Regular fiberglass insulation doesnt have the same type of density as the burner insulation. That being said I really dont know if you can use regular insulation I have never tried it but I dont think it will give you the same protection from the heat of he coil. I would really reccommend using the material that was designed for the job. You went this far to do it right I would hate to see you have to do it again.

Yes Paul it will be done right and safe. I got pricing today for 1" x 24" ceramic blanket material for inside at $2.50 sq. ft.. Counting a donut for both top and bottom I need 8' or $40 worth...Bottom donut and burner head tube is likely fine so I will have left over maybe for gas tank sheilding.. ( lol, did I mention I turned this Mi-T-M pallet sized skid into a hotsy sized portable?) Actually the top doesn't get any insulation correct?

Anyways, at them rates I might as well get 1/2" at $2.10 for the outer part if the r value is as good or better than fiberglass. Not sure on that..

I have seen a couple locals even wrap their outside skin with fiberglass for 3 layers but I aint doin that. Image does count for somethings..hehe

Sounds like a pretty cool machine. Ususally the cover will have some insulation on it. Some companies use a solid donut others will use the fiberglass and use suppport tabs to hold it to the top. Both work fine but you want to make sure to put some up there for two reasons.

1. The top will get very hot and the paint on the cover will peel or if stainless in may discolor.

2. The top will get very hot and an employee or somone else will eventually walk up to it and place their hand on it to see how hot it really is. Yes, I have done this and my guys still do this from time to time to see if it is hot and then they complain about the burn on their hand.

The stainless already was somewhat discolored when I got hold of it.

Now that I been thinkin about it I can't recall seeing one with a donut up top at all. Was always a clear view down into coil.

It appears mine has both some wet ceramic (hard) and some soft ceramic in there with the soft being up top around coil and down bottom for donut.