Sign in to follow this  
dgold42

Best starting mix for HD80?

Question

Hi Everyone

Whats the best mix to start with using HD80? I will adjust it according to my job but a starting point would be helpful. I've heard great things about this product but haven't used it yet.

Call it a hunch but if it's recommended by the people on this BBS then I'm sure it will work great. Has anyone compared HD80 to CPR from exterior sales and service. That's what I've been using for years but think that I would rather go with a powder than a liquid. Shipping cost is to high and I think you get more product control with powder.

Thanks for everyones help in advance. Great group of people on here.

Dan

Reliable Contracting

7 answers to this question

I use HD-80 on all my decks even if they are gray (1/2oz. to 1 gal. with no dwell time) a good rule of thumb is to get as much info about the deck as you can like how much is still on the deck and what kind of stain was used if the stain looks like it will not come off easy then start a 3oz. to 1 gal. Spray a small area wait few min and I test with my finger nail to see if the stain is coming up or not if not add 1oz. to the mix reapply and repeat until the stain comes off. Don’t skimp on the Citralic acid I use a ton on all my decks to make sure I do not miss an area.

There's not a one-size-fits-all starting point. It depends on what kind of stain is present, how much, conditions, etc.

Until you get a feel for how to adjust the strength, I would recommend following the manufacturers directions.

Experience comes with time, and soon enough you will learn how to adjust the strength up/down for each situation.

Call us any time for field support. Our toll free number is 1-877-426-9274, my cell is 240-876-0692, and Rod's is 240-876-0693. There is also a post on here with our Nextel ID's but I don't remember them off the top of my head.

Beth :groovy:

Thanks everyone for the info. I just got my first batch of HD80 but still haven't tried it yet. Beth was a pleasure to deal with and I'm looking forward to buying from them again. Keep up the good work.

Dan

Reliable Contracting

You're welcome Dan. Call myself or Rod anytime if you are in the field and need help when applying the product. Some of the things we keep in mind when we bid and also when we go out to do jobs are:

1. is the finish oil, alkyd, latex, acrylic, parafinic, polymer resin?

2. solid, semitransparent?

3. what manufacturer?

4. how many coats are on there?

5. how much ( or little) sun does the deck get?

6. when was the finish applied (how old is it)?

We have found we need answers to as many of these as possible to have the job go smoothly. With time you won't have to ask all of them, some you will know by visual inspection.

Beth :groovy: