Sign in to follow this  
Camelot

OK...I know Football is great and all...

Question

And I'm a big Carolina Panthers fan, but is ANYONE as excited as I am about hockey season starting? I am a die hard Rangers fan and LOVE and respect the sport of hockey. Any other puck heads out there or am I alone on this board?

:lgjump:

8 answers to this question

I enjoy hockey, I watch it some during the long season but mostly I tune in hardcore for the playoffs. It's really a neat sport once you understand the rules and get used to the pace of the game, it took me awhile. Of course as you know it's also very rough, I love a good body check. Go Blackhawks!

Sorry Celeste, I was born and raised in NY...moved down 12 years ago. I'm one of those...ahem..."darn" yankees...LOL. I bleed blue for the Rangers, BUT I do enjoy watching the Hurricanes! Hey Larry, you just got a GREAT GM in John Davidson...a real hockey guy...should be fun to see what the Blues do this year with him.

John, I always suspected there was something I liked about you. When Herbie Brooks brought a large portion of the "Miracle" team to NYC, I was sold on the (then) new, faster-paced, more-shooting style. I've been a Ranger junkie since.

I remember guys like Nicky Fotiu and Reijo Routsalainen and Barry Beck and Ron Dugay, these guys were heroes to me! Do you remember little Robbie Ftorek? MSG Sports with Esposito and Trautwig showed almost every game, and I missed maybe two in six years.

I love that club! I freely admit that I cried like a baby, and still choke up thinking about when "Captain Courageous" Messier guaranteed victory...and delivered! What a team, and what a final series!

Here's a last story to indicate the mania I have for hockey: In 1984, during the Serajevo Olympics, I went out to hunt with some pals. I was a freshman in high school, and we had thawed a bit in Omaha, so I was walking in mud.

About a mile from my house, I jumped into a hole about three feet deep and turned my right ankle so badly that I broke the tips of my tib and fib loose.

Now, people will tell you that it is impossible to walk on an ankle that badly broken, but I am here to tell you that they are wrong. It's only impossible for those that lack the proper motivation!

I knew that if my mom knew how bad my foot was, she'd never let me stay home, we'd go straight to the emergency room. So I walked hom, unlaced my boot and told her it was a sprain. I wasn't about to miss the Pat LaFontaine-led olympic team play, nor was I about to miss the two NY teams playing after.

I put my foot in a bucket of ice and gritted through both games, then went to the hospital, where I was treated for a badly broken ankle and badly frostbitten foot!

That stunt cost me an extra two weeks in a splint, and then an extra three weeks in a cast. It also spelled the end of skating and biathlon for me.

I did get to see two very good games though!

When I was a kid (in Wisconsin), we'd play hockey at night on a pond at the cemetary nearby. We'd bring a couple extension cords (200 ft.), remove the bulb from the flagpole light, plug in there, then plug our light in at the pond over the hill and away from view of the road. Cold nights on a frozen pond with one light laying on the ground shining across the ice!!! We lost alot of pucks in the snow around the pond, but it was the hockey equivalent of the Field of Dreams! I can imagine the guy mowing the nect spring and hitting those pucks! I doubt he ever figured out what was going on.

What great hockey stories! I spent my youth playing tons of street hockey...getting road rash, miles of stitches, and pretending I was some of hockey's finest.

Scott - we are the same age, so I can truly relate to those names you posted! I, too, grew up watching those guys! What memories...I thought I was the biggest Rangers fan in history until I heard your broken ankle story...yeesh...training camp has started...just a few weeks til' the puck drops! Go Rangers!

My Maple Leafs Suck. Have most of my life. I play ice hockey in a league all year long (11 months, close enough). Nothing like going to the rink in July or August wearing the same flip flops you wear in the shower. Sure beats the frozen equipment in the back of your truck in January. One year we did a road trip, Sabres at Hurricanes on Friday, Raiders at Panthers on Sunday, gaitor hunting on Tuesday in the everglades. Great country you have there!