Sign in to follow this  
cdposey26

Burner Question

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this question, but my hot water burner is smoking pretty good and thought I might need to fix it. I am hoping it isnt a huge problem. What do you think? As soon as I turn on the burner it starts to smoke out of the seems. At last check it was still producing hot water, but I have quit using the hot water for the time being to avoid any worse damage. Any ideas or suggestions on maintenance or repairs would be appreciated, I can't go to long with out hot water. If it means anything its a Beckett Burner. Thanks for the help.

1st, check your fuel/water separator to make sure there is no water inside. Empty it if there is, this will be a cause of incomplete combustion. This can be done by loosening the spigot at the bottom and draining it into a container for disposal with your used oil.

2nd, Check your ignitors are working properly. If you are not getting a good spark, this can lead to incomplete combustion.

Not a huge problem but nevertheless a problem that you can deal with. It's time to get acquainted with your burner.

Rod!~

Trey -

I had the same exact problem...it lasted for a while, then the heat stopped! I brought it to a local repair guy and after taking the burner apart, he realized that one of two things happened. Either a piece of paper flew into my exhaust while I was driving (it's an open trailer) or more likely, some of the interior insulation burned off. In either scenario, the paper (or insulation) burned inside the unit causing it to smoke like crazy!

What you have to be careful of is that sometimes the ash settles in between the two "nodes" that create the spark inside your burner and prevents it from firing. The ash then gets doused with diesel (or kerosene) and lays in there all nasty...LOL. The good news is that once we cleared the ash out of the burner it worked fine. Hope that helps.

- John

Sounds to me like an airflow problem. If you burner is staying lit and building to temp your power supply and electrodes are probably ok. Check to see if the coil is full of soot and isn't allowing the air to flow through properly. If it is clogged you should pull the coil and wash it off then reinsulate it and put it back. If you are careful and your insulation is not soaked you can re-use it. You may also want to see if a piece of rust or debris fell on to the area around the burner nozzle and electrodes I had that happen before. If it is clean your air bands may just need to be adjusted open or closed (they may have moved in transport from vibration). Other wise fuel filter, fuel pressure, electrode adjustment, blower motor....You can call as well if you need more help.

I'm definetly mechanically challanged. Mine did the same thing. It was what I call the fuel injector. Get's cloged and just spits fuel. You get hot water and lots of smoke. Maybe that's it. OK ya'll can laugh and make fun of me. I can take it! Just make sure you can.

ISYHTRAH