Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Customer/Contractor Survey

Many of us use surveys to get feedback and testimonials from our clients and this helps us grow in many ways as it provides valuable information to help understand how that particular customer wants to do business.

Not all want it the same way and some are just off the wall and unrealistic with some of the expectations.

Here's a twist for everyone to consider: Give the customer a feedback form filled out on how "YOU" felt they did as a customer!

Why is it always a one-way street where this is concerned? There have been many times I would have like to have had the opportunity to tell some of our clients how they did as a customer and never had the chance because of one circumstance or another.

We have been trying to come up with ways to educate the customer on how to deal with contractors including being polite, respectful, courteous and maintaining a professional demeanor at all times during the projects duration. Then the idea struck me that we never give the client a "Report Card" but we give them the latitude to tell us how 'WE' did in their terms of the experience.

I think it is time for us to reciprocate in order to let our clientèle know whether they are up to snuff and worth dealing with in the future based upon our experience with them.

What do you all think?

Rod!~

Question is.. would you have the cajones to really tell them the truth? If you give a customer anything but perfect 10's on every topic you risk offending and losing them.

"What do you mean I was only 'average' with scheduling?!?! Poor on payment schedule? You never sent the first invoice!" etc etc etc

Rod, are you serious? I make a report card for the customer in my head. I do the grading when I do the billing.You make things tough and I make a larger bill.You make things easy its going to keep me there working for you.The quality of the work will not change. interesting question.

I make a report card for the customer in my head. I do the grading when I do the billing.

That's just it, the client never gets to know.

Their behavior is allowed to continue and the relationships and all the money and efforts put into it go to waste.

We keep a list of clients who we will no longer serve due to their lack of professional decency or breach of contract. Fortunately it's an extremely small list but still, there are customers who could use the feedback to help them maybe understand and improve the relationship for both to benefit from.

I got into this business so that I could be in charge of my future and that future never included for one moment the customers ability to treat me or this company in any way other than we have treated them. We practice the best mannerisms possible, being courteous, polite, respectful, and give ourselves in more ways than we could have thought possible.

For example: The same things come to bare in that the customer thinks that they can call us and arbitrarily raise hell just to get something done faster or not pay in accordance with the agreement. And there are those who ask for extras and not offer to pay anything more yet we don't get to ask for them to pay us a little more and not do anything in return for them...do we?

It is time to dis-spell some unwritten rules that customers seem to think gives them the right to treat us like second class people just because we chose to offer our skills in a service they either have not the time, talent, desire or physical ability to do.

Maybe I am alone in this and perhaps not, but something needs to give because I really don't like the prospect of having to take **** from people who think we are beneath them. We work hard, get dirty and come home tired and try to feed our families and pay the bills just like they do in other ways. Just look at our avatar...do we look like trash? A week before that pic was taken I was one of a crew that came home covered in either sealant or dirt from a wash we had just completed.

The playing field needs to be level.

Rod!~

Rod, I agree there are frustrations being a service company.A direct approach with the customer is first and foremost, this lying the groundwork for the relationship beyond this point,an agreement.There are those who can really heat things up. I had a customer who would do exactly what you described, he would call and expect immediate service and complain about this stain and that. I did jump quickly to solve his issues and I was successful in making this customer my best customer by demonstrating that his business was as important to me as my own.He graded me and I graded him at the same time, in our heads.He never expected me to do anything for free.I just add extras to the bills and my contract always says:additional services added while on-site will be billed accordingly.I read there are 9 different types of customers you will come in contact with.I have a small list like yourself of customers to avoid who fall into the 9 personalities.Most of those 9 I can find a way to deal with.If your list is small as you say sounds like you do a fine job at customer relations.You are not your average contractor and taking the high ground is who you are. Just keep doing what you do best.I wouldn't allow a few to destroy my attitude on any day.I just dont agree on giving any customer a speaking to about thier inabilities to please me, I will just move on.

IMO it's a bad idea. It's not about you Rod, in the end the only perceptive that matters is the customers.

Look at it this way. How would you feel if after visiting a department store you got a report card in the mail and learned you weren't the perfect customer? It would upset me and I wouldn't go back. There is no way I would say, oh well maybe I can be a better customer next time or gee maybe I could be a little more friendly to the sales staff. No no no way no how! I would never return there. There is no nice way to tell me I need to improve on this or that as a customer, screw you! I'm the customer and I'm giving you my hard earned money and that's all that should matter.

If you think you would feel any different in this situation Rod, then maybe that's where our opinions vary on this whole topic. I know how I would feel and my rule is: if I don't like it when it happens to me, then don't do it to my customers.

My second thought is, what usefull information would this give you about your customers? A survey is great and I highly recommend using one and to listen to your customers answers to help sculp your future business model. But what usefull information would a customer report card give you? First of all they aren't sending anything back to you, they are just recieving a grade on how they did as a customer. Basically a note whether or not you'll do business with them again (very arrogant IMO). If they do send anything back it probably won't be nice, maybe a phone call to tell you off. My point is what usefull information do you get back out of your customer to use to better your company?

Thanks Barry,

Appreciate the feedback. It was one of my thinking out of the box ideas and stemmed from a point of contention in the fact that at the time we had a bad customer. I am always trying to think of how to improve relations with our clients.

Point is, some may not like the feedback but then again, if it was that bad, I am not about to do business with them again anyway. It was my thought to let them know why. I am a rebel and don't always go with the flow of things.

Especially when it comes to people treating us with any less respect than they expect to receive from us.

Oh well, never know what the consensus is until one asks.

Rod!~