Sign in to follow this  
Kory

Hydraulic fluid on concrete

Question

I have a job that they got hydraulic fluid on concrete and paver's I went out today and put down some heavy degreaser PW it and the paver's turned out great. The concrete did not turn out so good the oils all came up however there is a difference in color the area where the hydraulic was and was not. The stained area and unstained dried at the same rate and there was no water beading. Any ideas on how to get rid of the discoloration.

13 answers to this question

Hi Kory

Any chance of a photo?

Is it just the oil stained area that is discoloured, or the area that you cleaned?

Is the concrete weathered, with exposed pores, or steel finished and smooth?

Do you have hot water?

How long was the oil there before you could clean it? How many times did you degrease and p/w?

My guess is that the discoulouration is deep in the concrete, more oil will rise over time, so cleaning again in a week or two may be useful. If the discolouration is still obvious then ReKrete (or similar) may be helpful.

Failing that... tell them to learn to love it.

Hello all, been awhile..saw this, thought we could help out:

from; Dr. Bruce Maier one of our brains in the Biz

Open up the concrete with wire brush, but you will need to disturb somehow mechanically... begin the disturbance / extraction. Using SC104 non-toxic ph 7 cleaner concentrate @ a 1:4 ratio provided by V-SEAL/TARA, mixed with dry granular TIDE into a paste, slurry, poultice or heavy cream consistency. Spread well over soiled area, broom in let sit, undisturbed for 24 hrs. Cover with Visqueen if possible for accelerated results. Rinse, Squeegee off and Power Wash off. Let dry, may need to re-address. This mixture creates a rapid breakdown biodegradable green product that has been very effective in other scenarios like this. Followed with the correct chemical matched sealer.

This process is being used by Whirlpool and Honda plants

Always perform test area first ! Call if we can help !

Jay Tarantino / V-SEAL /TARA Group

Hi Kory

Any chance of a photo?

Is it just the oil stained area that is discoloured, or the area that you cleaned?

Is the concrete weathered, with exposed pores, or steel finished and smooth?

Do you have hot water?

How long was the oil there before you could clean it? How many times did you degrease and p/w?

My guess is that the discoulouration is deep in the concrete, more oil will rise over time, so cleaning again in a week or two may be useful. If the discolouration is still obvious then ReKrete (or similar) may be helpful.

Failing that... tell them to learn to love it.

I will try on the pic battery was dead on the digital.

Only the oil area is discolored.

The crete is a couple weeks old

Stain was there 5 days.

I hit it twice with degreaser and 220 deg water

This is at a unsold Hanna & Barletta home one of the best builders in Tampa.

don't ya just hate the way digi cameras eat bateries!!!

5 days will allow the oil to soak in quite deep, how deep depends upon the the surface finish etc....

keeping the stain wet with (citrus based?) degreaser and water for a day or three will help the oil rise to the surface (as oil floats on water). thoroughly wet the stain and about 12" around, then place a wet (old - or ugly given by mother in law LOL) towel over, then cover with plastic to stop drying. after a few days soaking do the usual, as you did at start, to wash off the top layer of oil. repeat this until no more oil rises.

All that stuffing around should remove oil, but as for angst/rage - tell builder to find person/vehicle who dropped oil and pour sump oil on drivers seat/steering wheel/glove box, this should calm rage/bring on theraputic laughter - especially if videoed

I went out today and the oil has bled back threw on the paver's. So I tried the Tide I will see if it worked tomorrow.

I think the recommendation was to use Tide in conjunction with a Vseal product but please let us know how it works!

The few tough oil stains I have had in concrete I have always told the owner there will be a shadow that will fade over time but not to expect miracles. Once the really nasty stuff is gone they seem happy enough once their expectations have been tempered. The next really tough one I get I will try what Vseal suggests and see what happens.

I have a job that they got hydraulic fluid on concrete and paver's I went out today and put down some heavy degreaser PW it and the paver's turned out great. The concrete did not turn out so good the oils all came up however there is a difference in color the area where the hydraulic was and was not. The stained area and unstained dried at the same rate and there was no water beading. Any ideas on how to get rid of the discoloration.

We in India have very succesfully solved these problems of cleaning oil stains on concrete by using KLENZTONE #1. You can contact them on www.klenztone.com & wish you all the success.

Suresh Kumar G

M/s Alpha High-Tech Polyurethanes

Inida.