Sign in to follow this  
Mountainaire

removing items around the house

Question

I've wondered what others do about moving items around a house to be cleaned. Do you give a different price if they have prepared the house for cleaning or is the power washing guy expected to pull away all the misc junk in order to fully access each wall? Thanks.

Dennis

10 answers to this question

If there is a ton of stuff around the house I have them move it before I wash. If its a few hanging plants and chimes I move them as well as the door mats.

Dennis,

We cleaned a house about six months ago and the walls, yard, porch, and patio was covered with everything you could imagine. We charged 4x the normal rate and hired two extra hands to help remove and replace as we cleaned. During our initial consultation we explained due to the additional labor there will be extra charges if we are responsible and at the end of the day our customer was very pleased.

We ask that any personal items be moved prior to our arrival. The reason, is you don't always know the state of the item, or if the owner knows the condition of the item. If something comes apart in your hands, it may be seen as "you broke it" when it was already in that condition....falling apart, outdoors, and forgotten until that time. If the customer moves it, and it breaks, there is no liability on your part.

We make exceptions on a case by case basis, for example they are elderly or handicapped...

Beth

We ask that any personal items be moved prior to our arrival. The reason, is you don't always know the state of the item, or if the owner knows the condition of the item. If something comes apart in your hands, it may be seen as "you broke it" when it was already in that condition....falling apart, outdoors, and forgotten until that time. If the customer moves it, and it breaks, there is no liability on your part.

We make exceptions on a case by case basis, for example they are elderly or handicapped...

Beth

thats happened to me on several occasions, pick it up it falls apart i got blamed, i wont move anything anymore. on the flip side sometimes people move the stuff and end up stacking it right in the way of the hose run path.....uggggh.

Grills are never put together right by homeowner's. They must get halfway through and say "This looks good, hand me that propane tank and get the burgers, hon"

Every one I have ever laid hands on fels like a good wind will decimate it.

If there is a ton of stuff around the house I have them move it before I wash. If its a few hanging plants and chimes I move them as well as the door mats.

I agree. We do tell the customer not to bother moving patio furniture and other quick and easy items, but ask that they move everything "breakable, or not suitable to be washed"

I have on more than one ocassion seen much more stuff when we arrive than when we bid. I guess they figure it will get washed. The only time I charge extra is when they are completely inconsiderate and it is obvious that in their opinion we are just hired labor. As such, they expect that they need do nothing except pay the bill.

Grills are never put together right by homeowner's. They must get halfway through and say "This looks good, hand me that propane tank and get the burgers, hon"

Every one I have ever laid hands on fels like a good wind will decimate it.

Stay out of my back yard, Mr. Fenner!

:lgsideway

It just depends on the customer. If their older, I usually move heavy potted plants and stuff, sometimes the customer and I will move stuff together other times I'll tell them they need to have everything moved before I get there. It's never really something I put to much thought into, I just play it by ear.

Beth

Beth,

I don't appreciate you stealing my methods!!

;)

I have several standard notes on my estimate/contract forms:

Customer to remove furniture and plants from porch and deck areas prior to start of house washing.

At one time I also had a statement that said something to the effect that if the customer wanted us to move items we could do it for an additional charge. - I no longer have that in there as it has not been needed. The first statement usually takes care of things. I usually call the day/night before to remind cutomers we are scheduled for the next day. I remind them to move things and make sure all windows are closed.

We do the same as Beth and make exceptions case by case for elderly, etc.

The other statements on the in estimate are (in brief):

- Customer supplies water at site.

- We are not responsible for damage arising from water entering home through eves, soffit, openings around windows wnd doors.

- Some stains, such as Artillery Fungus may not be able to be removed from siding.

- Cleaning oxidixed siding may not totally stop or remove oxidization