Sign in to follow this  
Jon

Metal awnings

Ok we talk about vinyl and canvas awnings and how to clean them but what about metal awnings.

Not interested in painting them but cleaning so they shine again.

I cleaned these last year and you can see a lot of the oxidation came off, not all but some, still I want to be able to clean them better.

I want all the oxidation off if possible, I want them to SHINE if possible.

What do or would you guys use?

What I used last time was my normal degreaser cut down more but I am sure there is something better out there that does not cost an arm and leg, arm only might be ok!

Jon

Jon,

We have done some of these on houses,after several years the shine is just about a complete write off.You may be able to restore some of the shine after cleaning by applying a car wax,not sure it will work but it's worth a try.

As for cleaners we have used simple green in the past at full strength,scrubbing it with a soft bristle brush on a pole,from a ladder.(your guess is as good as mine for a 2 story home)

Most customers are just happy to have the mold and grime cleaned off, and are less worried if it is shining like new again.I do understand wanting to do a top notch job,but restoring the shine may be a difficult undertaking.

So I should consider it a good job to just have all the grime and stuff off and if they are happy take the money and not worry about it.

Not easy for me to do things like that, always want to be perfect on my work.

Jon,

I so completely understand how you feel,we have worked hard to do the same,I hate walking away admitting defeat.

We have not found a good way to revive the shine of metal awnings,and it drives me crazy.I would say that the age of the awning will determine if you wil be able to give them that new again look.

If you come up with something that works please post so we can try it the next time we do metal awnings.

Jon,

I typically wash metal awnings the same way I wash aluminum siding. I apply a good emulsifing detergent via an xjet, and wash with a #9 25 degree nozzle attached to an extendawand.

When I do an estimate for an aluminum sided home, I explain the oxidation process to the customer. I tell them that washing will clean the siding, but it also may contribute to a duller apppearing finish. It's a fact, it happens, and there is nothing you can do about it.

I've tried liquid spray-on car waxes, and they don't do much. I don't think there is anthing that will really create a shine, short of a buffer and some rubbing compound, followed by a paste wax. Or the aluminum may need to be painted in order to look really good again.

Discuss with the customer a realistic expectation. Do the best you can do. Be satisfied that nothing more can be done to change the outcome. Sleep good at night.

Anyone ever tried staining aluminum siding? It looks fantastic. As soon as I can figure out how to post pics, I'll put a stained aluminum sided house on here. Stain stays on, unlike paint that may chip or peel.

I sure under estimated time for this job, figured about 4 hours and took more like 7, was ok except for area I could not brush.

I do need a way to reach the end more, was using 0 nozzle to spray soap but still not happy with outcome.

Customer said it was ok, just OK, not SUPER or GREAT and that does not sit well with me as I was not happy either.

NO I did not tell that to the customer.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

how about selling them this....http://www.everbrite.net/index.htm

it has so many uses i wish i could get it over here

Everbrite Coating and ProtectaClear are available in the UK. Take a look at http://www.bromoco.co.uk. Everbrite is recommended for metal awnings as it has extra UV protection in it and it will restore the shine on faded metal.

Teresa Sedmak

Everbrite, Inc.

800-304-0566

www.EverbriteCoatings.com

Edited by Everbrite
forgot Signature