Sign in to follow this  
Neil_Asheville

Estimate Check

Question

Good morning.

As we get more projects completed and in the portfolio, estimates certainly do come a bit easier. I would say after thousands and not hundreds of projects is about the time when we'll be completely confident in time and material figuring. We'll get there!

Here's one I'd appreciate feedback on. The attached pdf will launch a slideshow. ALT pauses show, left/right mouse click advances or backsup, ESC will take you back to viewing it in Reader pane. I already have a figure in mind for labor + 7gal WoodTux. PDF is attached. This will be me plus one helper. Some quick points on the project:

- 4 month old new construction PT pine

- 960 total sqftage decking to restore

- front steps covered with tree/berry stains

- front steps handrail has been builder stained with unknown semi-trans, i'm thinking of priming and painting to match red front door.

- client wants architectual trim treated also (see pic, approx 80 linear feet)

- client wants 80 linear feet of split rail fence treated (see pic)

- client wants decking furniture treated (see pic, table+4chairs, feels too light for teak)

Feel free to ask more questions to clarify. Have a great week everyone!

cheers,

/neil

-

FriedmanProject.pdf

14 answers to this question

That is going to be too stunning for words if you do it right. Sh*tcan the idea of priming and painting the steps though. I can see no advantage to playing designer and committing these people to use solid stain on those steps for the remainder of the deck life.

When I get a thousand decks under my belt I would be happy to offer advice on pricing ;-)

Of course it will be done 'right', Ken. LOL You must be pushed for time or something this morning....never known you to miss a chance to say something! Absolutely no love...:lgtear:

I was only considering priming and painting the lower section handrail, not step treads.

/neil

I would really look forward to doing a job like that. Beautiful.

Got to love an easy railing like that. I would just spray and wipe off the Iron spindles as I go. I sometimes struggle estimating multiple jobs like that at a residence because you want to discount it a little for the size of the job yet you want to make a good hourly rate. I would probably be around 3k. $2950.00 looks better. 2 days work with my helper.

I don't understand what you are considering painting?? The "handrail" (actual part you grab)?? The kickplate or whatever you call it on the stairs definitely needs painted or a different color IMO. Is that part of the bid?? Oh, and I'd definitely include in my bid to do the underside of that triangle deck. I've started doing the unders on most decks.....makes a big difference in overall appearance of 2nd story deck. Are you bidding to do shakes, T&G ceiling, etc??? If not, have you tried to unsell??

Jon I'm reading your post and I'm about to do a search on "unselling" I thought maybe there was new sales technique I wasn't aware of. (thats hat starts happening when you are scanning posts at ten pm)

Neil, too funny man. Yeah I was in a bit of a hurry. If I thought you honestly incapable of putting together an adequate bid I would have evaluated the pictures and gave you my thoughts but I know you will do fine. That looks like a potential winner in the ESI challenge. I keep hearing that people in the south don't appreciate deck maintenance. Yet based upon my sales for RAD and the pictures posted by you, Shane, Celeste and others I know that is untrue.

Look for my book, "The Art of the Unsell" coming to shelves soon:) Kind of a good word----needs a good meaning. "UPSELL" for those confused. I'm with you Neil. That job would be a pain to bid.