Sign in to follow this  
CCHSNC

BIG Job...Have a question

Question

So I received a call today from a local Hotel looking to get some PWing done. They would like a bid on the sidewalks, curb and gutter and the sideing which is white vinyl. The building is three stories and roughly 30,000 sqft interior. My question is what is the going rates for something like this?? I don't get into much commercial work so I'm not real sure what the market allows for. I know what to charge for the sidewalks but if I charge my average rate for a 2 story or larger it will come to around $3,450.00 just for the siding..does that sound right? I was also wondering what curb and gutter is going for?

Thanks,

Rob

6 answers to this question

Rob,

As with all pricing, there is no set standard. Only you know what the job will take to complete and your involved expenses.

Commercial work is discounted often, since there is so much area. If you were to charge .05 a sq ft for a driveway, you would go broke, but if you were to charge .25 for commercial concrete on a large scale such as this job, then you most likely will not get the job.

Figure this job at your regular rate and then give a discount to allow for the volume of this job. What type of discount is what you feel is right, as you are the one that needs to get paid and live. Or you can just charge your normal rates and no discount, but be prepared that they may look you over for it.

How can you go broke charging .05 per square foot on flatwork, especially if you have a lot of it in one area??? I could see if you were doing small areas where you had to do a lot of detail work, moving equipment, etc, but aside from that, I can't see how that would break you. I'd love to get $0.10 per square foot, but no one here is going to pay that...let alone $0.25. Residential OR commercial.

Originally posted by Oneness

How can you go broke charging .05 per square foot on flatwork, especially if you have a lot of it in one area??? I could see if you were doing small areas where you had to do a lot of detail work, moving equipment, etc, but aside from that, I can't see how that would break you.

Originally posted by One Tough Pressure

Commercial work is discounted often, since there is so much area. If you were to charge .05 a sq ft for a driveway, you would go broke, but if you were to charge .25 for commercial concrete on a large scale such as this job, then you most likely will not get the job.

Mike,

I used those numbers for an example, but look at it this way. I have an 800 sq ft driveway. If I were to charge $.05 a sq ft, then it would cost $40.00 to wash. When I say driveway, I mean on an average house. I can not make any money off of that and I doubt very many can. And I repeat what I said earlier.

As with all pricing, there is no set standard. Only you know what the job will take to complete and your involved expenses.

Alan:

My apologies, I didn't see that you were referring to a driveway! :) I was thinking a much larger area, as in commercial flatwork. I agree with what you said, and I just set a minimum charge to deal with those smaller jobs.