Sign in to follow this  
Celeste

Calling Shade Tree Vets!

Question

Well, we have PUPPIES! Didn't think they were coming for another week or so and I am as unprepared as possible. Things are not going well either.

1) Mom had them under the deck outside in the mud - not one within 8 ft of the other so there I was crawling around in the mud under the deck with both parents in my face trying to retrieve squalling puppies - retrieved 3 successfully.

2) Going after the 4th (the largest male) Mom got there first and tried to EAT him! (He didn't make it by the way)

3) Got the other three inside, cleaned up and warming (they're still squalling)

4) Get Mom in to clean her up so she can join them.

5) Take Mom to puppies and she proceeds to try to EAT THEM!

Help Me! I am now going to have to be mama dog - Roger is off to PetSmart to get bottles, formula and talk to the vet.

Anyone ever experienced bottle raising a litter of puppies - I NEED SUPPORT!

Celeste

21 answers to this question

You will need:

• heating pads
  • bedding you don't care about
  • a lamp over them for warmth

Not sure if the clock in the bed thing is real or not...the tick tock is supposed to be comforting. I'm sure Pet Smart has good info.

Try also: http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/handfeeding.html

Beth

Roger was feeding - I was being a midwife :)

The feeding has suddenly become complicated by not being able to tell who's been fed or not. We're going to have to figure out a color coded "collar" system,

Celeste

Here are all 9...... Also a shot of Mom & Dad (and what they've done to my kitchen door! Puppy sales will get that replaced :))

Just as an update - Lexie is still not remotely interested in being around them so I'm back to bottle duty.

I like the runt! Lexi is probably just upset because Jake isn't the father. Speaking of, is he nice to the puppies?? I bet he licks them and is kind.....remember that Brad Paisley song, "I hope I'm half the Man, he didn't have to Be"?? I'm sure Jake has stepped in and is being a total gentleman and is acting like a father to the puppies.:)

I think both of the males are taken already - one of our builders snatched one up the day they were born and Tater has a couple of homes :)

Since Lexie wants NOTHING to do with these pups (Jake just nervously watches them - no licking yet Jon - and he's certainly not capable of feeding LOL) I'm hoping that I can get folks to take them NOW and deal with all of the feeding and fussing and pooping. I am exhausted.

Celeste

I think 4 are sold.....but I'm not opposed to giving if it means they will go NOW! They are full blooded but their AKC registration paper trail ended with their mom's side and dad's grandparents (I've never pushed the issue). Both parents have shown good hunting tendencies, which was our primary reason for adopting these dogs. I had a total lapse of good sense when I didn't separate them during her heat (the whole hindsight is 20/20 is really setting in!)

Celeste

The papers are meaningless to me. I have no intention of breeding any dogs and going through what you are now! I have them on my adopted Jack Russell, but my Lab came from the shelter. She just looked at me with those big brown eyes and...well, you all know how it is.

That was the way I looked at it Larry - wasn't planning on breeding for profit. Roger & I just wanted hunting dogs, then thought "Oh how pretty their babies would be - then ugh, it's too much trouble to keep them separated - now "Oh, geez, who pooped and who didn't and did you feed that one or this one?" Both parents are the best natured, albeit irresponsible & immature beasties :) They are both getting fixed pretty soon also!

Celeste

Great News!!!!!!! After literally laying on top of our wayward mama, Lexie is now tending to her puppies - well, she's feeding them and licking somewhat. She's still muzzled as she's still not completely comfortable but this is a huge relief on the feeding team :)

Celeste

Puppies are now 3 weeks - quite active little boogers. We're trying to keep the kids from getting attached to them.......do you think I might have a little trouble doing that though? I'll post some more recent pics tomorrow in case someone wants one of these cuties :)