Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Trained Killer

Question

We are very proud of our son joshua. We took him to his 1st karate class a couple weeks ago. The instructor is well respected japanese master. Josh is only 3 1/2 and Master Kazu said he would let him in one class to see how he does, but he also said we'd probably have to bring him back in 6-18 months, because kids josh's age arent ready

Well we talked to Josh before and told him not to be shy and listen to the teacher. WELLLLLLL we watched from a distance and when some of the other younger ones were screwing around Josh was very focused and doing everything he was told. There were a couple of the older boys (8 yr olds) and they were also helping Josh, getting the right stance etc.

After the 1 hour class I went to get josh and the Master said josh did great and was very disciplined and listen & tried really hard. My wife & I were VERY proud of him. The classes are 3 times a week so I took him to the next class and Josh really did great he followed all the instrction great and the Master once again said he really is very disiplined and he said he can tell josh has a high IQ and we disipline him well and he would let Josh stay and he also said "He really thinks Josh ss a natural at Karate" He was showing me how josh can balance on his heals then kick and some other things josh can do that most younger ones cant. A couple of the older boys said he is very focused that he does it all very well

Theres other boys about 1 year older and they just dont stand still , well the master gave josh the head gear , gloves & sword. He said he doesnt usually give this gear till they are 5, but Josh can handle it.

We've been going now a couple weeks and Josh loves it. Im so happy he's really enjoying it. I hope my boy stays with it for ever

CAN YOU TELL I'M A PROUD DAD. THATS MY BOY!!!!!!!

9 answers to this question

Dude, that's awesome...as soon as my daughter is out of Balet and Tap, she's going into Karate. They said pretty much the same thing, she has to be 5. They didn't let her stay in a class or anything though...

I like the picture of him all tuckered out after a hard day of killin...:D

When I tought taekwondo, some of the most fun I had was teaching the 3 - 4 year olds. kids are great before they develop attitudes. They are fun to "punish" too because the parents really get into it. We had paddles they kicked...occassionally one of the kids would sling the paddle across the room when it was time to put them back. Then we all got to stand around and watch as the kid got down on his hands and feet (no knees) and *pushed* the paddle across the floor with his nose from the point from where the threw it. The parents totally dug it and the kids rarely messed up a second time. Congrats on raising a kid with discipline and not a television-tubby kid.

hey Jeff that is great, both my sons (age 4 and 5) take Karate and they love it, My oldest practices his kata at home and is very good in class. My youngest gets distracted but is really starting to learn now. Great exercise and the instructor is good on the discipline stuff.

Congrats on your future black belt!

Keth

The local MMA here has a program for kids. We are considering Brazillian Jujitsu for our 4 year old boy. He likes watching UFC and thinks he knows what an Armbar is. LOL

Jeff, How much time does this take you guys each week?

Jeff, How much time does this take you guys each week?

Classes are Mon, Wed, Fri 1 hr each day and its 12 months a year. I like it better than some classes around here that are only once a week