Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Adios to another wood season....

Question

Frost for the past three mornings. Finished up a "restoration" that should have been tear down and rebuild, this morning. Got a app of RS on an old customer's new ACQ extension this afternoon. Took the battery out of the Delmhorst for the winter. Wood season here in NJ is over.

Got a referral call for a cedar job this morning. No go. Will do the estimate for work in the spring tomorrow, but for me, wood season is now closed.

26 answers to this question

Larry,

I'm kind of happy. One benefit of exterior wood is that you have a long break, and are able to rest, heal, and take stock of your business and where you want to improve. My "tennis elbow" is just about unbearable and needs a break instead of cortisone. Tough getting old.

I've had enoght of NaOH, stain, wet weather, smelly clothes, wind, equipment problems, scheduling problems, 12 hr. days, weekend work, scrubbing in the bathtub, sales tax, and not enough time to really drink beer, for the season. The only thing I will miss is my customers.

But March comes around and its Blue Sky, a new beginning, and you're just itchin' to get at it again. Go figure. Must be some kind of sickness.

Man, I understand you guys up north. But I've got 30+ and counting decks to clean and seal before the end of the year. Glad I live down here. Weather is a slight issue, but we work around it. We stain year round.

I'm not rubbing it in, but glad we can work more down here. It helps the bottom line for the year.

Ken,

Hope you speak Spanish, I don't. But again, the market is Buenos Aires. Money talks. You ask Russell, I'll ask Pierce. Can we get decent stain shipped down? Friggin' Argentina is loaded with old world Italians and runaway Germans. My wife is Italian, think that may help?

Ken,

I'm kind of not kidding. Judy is thinking of getting out of education and NJ is the pits. Argentina I'm sure is different, but maybe no worse than Menendez for a senator. This state is embarassing and a cash pit for living and business alike.

We're even thinking of moving back to Pa., state of my birth and the home of the Eagles!

Rick, did you see the game?.. what a last minute heartbreaker. I think the Carribean is where its at for commercial PW'ing. The DR is booming with construction as are many of the islands. Jason might already have that market cornered though. I love PA. We went to Shawnee on River in the Poconos last Thursday night. Beautiful golf resort there. Driving around the area.. tons of builders and hot decks going up all over the place.

Jon,

That pic is downright creepy. Is that a munchkin? You guys are keeping me in the dark, what the frick is a munchin? Do they have them in Argentina?

Austailia is too western and Africa sounds like a life threatening nightmare. Any better suggestions?

Ken,

I remember the years when Dallas was on top of the NFL and the Eagles were a bad team. A successful season hinged on beating the Cowboys, at least at home. Last week's game was a thriller, the Eagles defense had Bledsoe on the sidelines with smelling salts and a doctor shining the light in the eyes looking for a possible concussion.

Yesterday was just. The Saints totally outplayed the Eagles in the first half and deserved the win.

Ken,

Friggin' Argentina is loaded with old world Italians and runaway Germans. My wife is Italian, think that may help?

.....That's a big fat "NO" on Argentina for me! Krauts? Wops?? That must be the loudest country on Earth!!!LOL Heh, only thing worse than hearing a bunch of greaseballs flappin their jaws is hearing some loudmouth germans or Russians!!!! I'm just gonna go to ireland or scotland, somewhere i don't get made fun of for having pinkish-red skin, freckles, and explosive anger problems,LOL:) Prolly a good market there for washing....lots of mold and fungi from all the rain, yeah??

Rick,

There is a commune near where Celeste lives called "Munchkintown", she doesn't know of it (or so she says). The munchkins are mean to us "giants". CELESTE IF YOU ARE READING, AND I KNOW YOU ARE, I'M GOING TO EMAIL MY FRIEND FROM BURLINGTON, HAVE HIM TELL HIS STORIES, GIVE SOME CROSS-STREETS FOR REFERENCE, AND I'LL CUT-AND-PASTE HERE! He recently had a loss, but I'll get him on the ball so he can put an end to this debate between me and Celeste once and for all!!

Jon,

"I'm going to Ireland or Scotland"

Hope you're trying to lose weight. The food is downright ineditable. Try my citric brightener instead, it is much more heathful. I love Italians, actually do, married one. Germans can't cook a decent meal but they do make very good beers.

So munchkins are a group of weird inbred small people that live in the backwoods of NC? Sounds like a sociology dissertation waiting for a tough grad student. Might be a long wait...

HEY CELESTE----I HOPE ONE OF YOUR FAVORITE REDNECK MEALS TO EAT IS "CROW", BECAUSE YOU ARE ABOUT TO CHOW DOWN ON A BIG SERVING OF IT!! WHY YOU WERE SO RESISTANT TO RECOGNIZE A MUNCHKINLAND IN YOUR HOMETOWN IS BEYOND ME, SO I TOOK IT UPON MYSELF TO GET TO THE TRUTH. HERE IT IS, IN THE PASTED WORDS OF A GOOD FRIEND, WHO LIVES IN THE SAME TOWN AS YOU DO. I'LL REITERATE, I TOLD HIM ABOUT THE DISSAGREEMENT, AND HERE IS WHAT HE SAID. PERHAPS YOU'LL RECOGNIZE THE LANDMARKS, SHOULD YOU QUESTION THE VERACITY!

As far as Munchkin Land yeah it's true. It's out in the county on an old abandoned road near the Haw River. You have to cross an old bridge that's nearly fallen down. The state recognizes the land and won't let anyone destroy it. They even put up a road block with a steel bar across it so people can't drive their vehicles down there anymore. I haven't gone there in years but it's still there as far as I know. They live off the land like the amish do, so they don't get out in town much. They are also very protective when people enter their community. You couldn't pay me enough to walk down their alone at night, I'll tell you that much.

CELESTE......I KNOW YOU ARE READING THIS.....RESPONSE?????:)

Haw River is a sh*t hole - I don't even drive through that sorry excuse for a town therefore I will still claim NO KNOWLEDGE of "munchkintown". Much as it embarasses me to admit it, I was brought up a country club debutante snob - I was sheltered from things for years. I was never exposed to other races until I was in 7th grade! I actually find it hilarious that there is something over on that side of the river that I'd never heard about :) You'll have to keep your crow, Jon :)

Celeste

PS - I liked your avatar better when it was my porch!

I like that spf stuff - I had this customer who was being a total ***** - evidently It was unprofessional of me to assume that a house painting contract didn't include a free deck job as well. Homeowners - gotta love 'em. Anyways - I spread on that spf **** on her fir deck - hope she loves it, that Cee U Next Tuesday. Anyone else have revenge products they like to share?

Oh sweet lord, I did not mean it. Really. It was a human mistake. Now they are ganging up on me, with that Satan "A" word. Please, if there is any mercy now or in the hereafter, make them stop. I can deal with Behr, CWF, and Aussie Oil but not the dreaded "A". Oh no, I'm beginning to shake all over. My mind is going ballistic.

Ha, I know. BFSII to the rescue. But who's going to pay for it?