Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

First wood-tux job

Question

So here are some pics of a woodtux job I did - the wood had heavy applications of CWF - which I stripped with my own stripper that I make.

Then neutralised with 1 part floods Deckswood and 4 parts water. Then rinsed a million times. I did this on a rainy day - so the decking part probably didn't get as stripped as well as I liked - I did two applications of stripper - I think the decking had a solid oil black stain on it. After when It dried a few days later- I went around and did some sanding mostly the decking with 40 grit on my really powerful portercable sander. I read on the sikkens website that they want you to sand the decking with 60 or 80 grit after a deck has been cleaned - and I am starting to think this is a really good idea. Everything was hand brushed with a 2-1/2 purdy china bristle. The stain is very shiny!

post-1720-137772168485_thumb.jpg

post-1720-137772168526_thumb.jpg

post-1720-137772168567_thumb.jpg

8 answers to this question

That front steps and rail looks great Dan but what's up with the back deck floor?

Are the dark spots from old sealer that couldn't be removed ?

Yeah - at first I thought because it rained that my stripper got diluted. But remember I had also sanded the entrance porch and put down a coat of that grey oil based porch and floor paint and noticed that when some paint flaked off - that there was a solid coating of black solid oil stain. After the deck dried a few days later I went over that back decking about 6 times with my portercable sander with 40 grit - and it could barely make a dent in it. I am including another pic, you can see the steps and how I managed to sand some of it off - but that's where I stopped, it was just too deep into the wood.

post-1720-137772168813_thumb.jpg

WOW i see what you mean that's pretty black alright! It might have been better to flip the boards since they are square?

The good thing it's the back porch huh :D

Very nice Mr Painter.. Try the HD-80 next time you get a strip like that. Then again, your stripper may have bee fine but the rain diluted it before it could do its thing. I think the project turned out beautifully.