Sign in to follow this  
GymRat

Sodium Percarbonate Mix

Question

Have had a lot more requests lately to clean the gray from pressure treated decks. I don't have the time to stain these decks, and one of the reasons I don't have time, is the homeowners in this area are not willing to pay very well for staining services. I like the way percarbonate cleaners leave the wood a natural color vs the white color bleach leaves these decks. It wouldn't matter as much if I was doing a complete job, but I'm just cleaning and neutralizing .

I was by my chemical distributer last week and asked about sodium percarbonate availability, and they sold me a 50# bag for $55.00. My question is will straight sodium percarbonate do as good of a job cleaning decks as the mystery mixes venders are selling, or should I add anything to my mix? I am very fortunate to have a chemical supplier within 10 minutes from my house and they can get me most anything I need in bulk, where I don't have to pay for the fancy packaging. Thanks for your help in advance.icon14.gif

6 answers to this question

I have had good results using it straight (from The Chemistry Store), only because I didn't think about adding the TSP. I'll bet it rocks with that addition. Just a reminder too...don't mix it in a closed or covered container!

.don't mix it in a closed or covered container!

Now you tell us, lol ,I did this a couple weeks ago and it foamed up and caused the container to swell. I thought it would burst before I could get to the jobsite. Before reading this, I thought it was the dawn I added that caused it to react. Does anyone know why it does that in a closed container?

When its mixed with water it is giving off gas (O2) It is degrading from the moment you mix it. SP is best mixed on demand at the jobsite. I am not a fan of straigh percarbonate. I think it is enhanced and is a much better wood cleaner with the right caustics in small amounts and with the right surfactant(s)

For a basic understanding of a percarbonate you should be aware that you are using an 'oxidizer'. A compound that when mixed with water releases oxygen. Many of the chemicals used in wood restoration when mixed together form strong oxidizing agents and can also change the pigments inherent in the substrates of different species of wood either temporarily or permanently remove the color ions.

As Ken mentioned mixing only when they are needed is a Best Management Practice in safety. I have used a percarbonate in a pump up sprayer before and enjoy the added benefit of less pumping in the process because of the additional pressurization provided by the chemical. If you have more mixture than you need for the job, depressurize your sprayers and allow the contents to exhaust themselves, or if they have a pressure relief valve, lock it open while in transit to vent it and prevent a build up of pressure.

I try to only mix what I need to avoid having an open container while on the road. While I may drive safely, there are too many idiots driving on the roads today that I can't always account for.

Rod!~