Sign in to follow this  
jnoden

Sodiumhypochlorite %

Question

Does anyone know a way to test the strength of bleach or Chlorine? I buy 12% pool shock and I know that it weakens but how do I know what its strength is after a period of time. Is there something similar to litmus paper that can be used to test the % of sodiumhypo?

I ask for two reasons. It looks like I will have 15 gal of 12% left over because i stocked up for a marketing campaign with Clipper that didnt work out. Also I have some warranty work for Trex to do that requires you mix bleach with their cleaner.

9 answers to this question

Does anyone know a way to test the strength of bleach or Chlorine? I buy 12% pool shock and I know that it weakens but how do I know what its strength is after a period of time. Is there something similar to litmus paper that can be used to test the % of sodiumhypo?

I ask for two reasons. It looks like I will have 15 gal of 12% left over because i stocked up for a marketing campaign with Clipper that didnt work out. Also I have some warranty work for Trex to do that requires you mix bleach with their cleaner.

Alright, get out your pen,paper,calculator and test bottles this is an acutely technical way to determine if your Sodium Hypochlorite is strong enough. Rub some between your fingers. If it fizzes and gets hot it's good if it does'nt, get more.

lol....thats pretty funny. I was hoping there would be a way to gauge its strength. For example if something calls for a gallon of bleach than how much is that of my 3 month old 12%. I will definately use the finger burning technique though. Maybe with time I will be able to tell its potency by how much it burns my skin.

Im thinking that my 15 gallons will be worthless by next spring.

Do not remember the source but was told 12% will lose between 1 and 1.5% per month of storage. I think you are suppose to keep it in a cool place and tightly capped. What puzzles me is how do you know you're getting 12% from the supplier? Unless they turn over their inventory quickly or have some way of storing to prevent loss of potency, it may not be 12% when you purchase it.

Do not remember the source but was told 12% will lose between 1 and 1.5% per month of storage. I think you are suppose to keep it in a cool place and tightly capped. What puzzles me is how do you know you're getting 12% from the supplier? Unless they turn over their inventory quickly or have some way of storing to prevent loss of potency, it may not be 12% when you purchase it.

With that formula does any one know if it is a weaker % to start with does it lose the same percentage per month. Does it lose less percentage per month as it goes down in potency?

Dan,

Your right and I often wondered that as well. My suppier told me that it is actually 15% but who really knows. If I had a tester I would test it when I bough it and later if needed. Sometimes it seems like my mix is too strong and other times too weak. I know it has to do with the potency of the Chlorine.

I was googling for a short time and found nothing except something that tests pools. I might look in to it a little more to see if it is feasible.

Dan was right on the money.

Dip your finger in it. If it's warm(not hot) to the touch, it's active. If it's cold like water, it's dead.

Usually Sodium's shelf life is 60 to 90 days. It needs to be kept out of the sun in a dark place. The UV's from the sun wiil kill it eventually.

I have afriend that works for a pool company near me. i bought 2 5gal tubs of pool chlorine, got to the job and it was like washing with plain water. i went back to the store and told the manager that he cannot store the chlorine tubs in the front window, because of the sun. he thought i was a fool! She gave me 2 fresh tubs at 1/2 price then (when the idiot wasn't looking) gave me 2 more "on the house" Sweet.

Morel of the story: Chlorine degrades greatly, it should only be used fresh, I'm still searching for a % sensor.