Sign in to follow this  
Bennyhonda

Transporting Chemicals

I was curious how everyone transports their chemicals in an enclosed rig. I have only a pickup with canopy to house all my chems and the pressure washer itself. Obviously some chems are more dangerous (oxalic, s hypochlorite, s hydroxide) than others. At first I was thinking of just putting them all in well sealed pails then strapping them in real good. I've also thought I may want to go the route of a vented tool box. Which chems would be safely stored in a toolbox and which would be better in the enclosed (albeit somewhat larger) truck bed?

Thank you,

Ben B

All of your chemicals should be in tightly sealed containers and properly secured in the bed of your truck. For that matter all items neeed to be secured or strapped when in an open vehicle to prevent them from flying out of the vehicle in the event of a crash. Also make sure you have your msds lsheets handy and your pails of mixed and unmixed chems are labeled for identification. A vented tool box is a goodway to store your chems because then you do not have to worry about someone getting at them when thay shouldn't because you can lock it up.

In addition to Pauls post I would add that we carry a couple of extra containers with lids to secure chems mixed at the job site and unused.

Pump sprayers should be depressurized and the line cleared of chemical and transfered to a vented container for transportation, otherwise 2 things can happen:

1. Pressurization from either a chemical reaction or heat generation from exposure to sun or the same chemical reaction can occur .
  2. Cargo shift in an emergency stop or situation avoidance can cause the trigger to become depressed allowing chemical to be sprayed unknowingly creating a hazard to the driver, passengers or other drivers.

Rod!~

Cargo shift in an emergency stop or situation avoidance can cause the trigger to become depressed allowing chemical to be sprayed unknowingly creating a hazard to the driver, passengers or other drivers.

Rod!~

Oh I hate when that happens!!! What a waste.

I load everything I use in the back of an 8' pickemup truck bed.

Found a bunch of those square molded plastic boxes/cases, the ones that dairies use to carry 4 gallon bottles of dairy product in. I can set them in the truck bed, 2 or 3 rows of 4 cases, then cut a 2x4 the width of the truck bed, fit it against bed and molded wheelwell of bedliner (so it kinda

locks into a position) and nothing slides anywhere or comes out of boxes if they were packed correctly. When 2x4 gets old and weathered, get a new one and use the old one for display and samples of cleaned and stained

wood.

There are enough cases to carry everything, they will each hold a 5g (full or empty), or 4 single gallons, can be straight stuff, pre-mixed, one has all kinds of brushes, one with pistol grip spray bottles, another one has oils and lubricants, another misc stuff, whatever I need to carry, and NOTHING slides around in the truck at all. I have a cover that fits over to help protect from weather and etc.

I can carry all my other stuff, equipment, machines, hoses, lances, in back half of the truck bed. Everything fits, everything easy to find and get to, nothing slides around.

When I need the truck for something else it unloads SO easily, either 4, 8, or 12 cases rather than dozens of bottles and brushes and buckets and all kinds of other stufff. When I reload truck everything goes right back to where it was so my stuff is always easy to find.