Sign in to follow this  
Curb Appeal

buying new pump - need some advice

Hey all,

My General EZ4040 has water leaking into the crankcase and needs to be rebuilt. Yesterday, I had a very small job and went to start her up and the fitting on the outlet side of the unloader cracked. It's a specialized fitting and has to come from General. So, I've decided to get a new pump and unloader and fix these old ones at my leisure to have as backups.

I narrowed the field to 2 choices. Both are package deals that are plumbed with unloaders and are ready to bolt on and go:

http://www.higherpowersupplies.com/page/HPS/PROD/PW-WA-PM-HP-PMR/PP-6710

and

http://www.pwmall.com/detail.aspx?ID=3130

The one from pwmall is the same unloader that I have now and both have the EZ4040 pump (4gpm/4000psi).

Pwmall also carries the EZ3045 pump (4.6gpm/3000psi) - http://www.pwmall.com/detail.aspx?ID=1141

I called and they said that they can swap the EZ4040 in the package deal with the EZ3045 if I want.

My question is this:

Would the extra .6gpm be worth giving up the 1000psi?

The prices are about the same, but the unloaders are different and the one from higherpower also comes with an easy start valve and a pressure relief valve.

Any comments on which one to choose?

Thanks all for the wealth of info here at The Grime Scene. I've spent almost all weekend reading posts on unloaders and rebuilding pumps. My eyes are tired...

This pump's been good for me so far. I have about 500 hours on it & I've done nothing to it except change the oil...

unfortunately, at the moment, all I have is a 13hp Honda. I would love to upgrade my pump, but that would mean I would have to upgrade my engine and coil as well. In other words, I'd have to buy a new skid. I can swing $400 for a new pump, but not $6000 for a new skid...

If I had my choice, TSF2021...

Of course, if you have any other pump/unloader suggestions, I'm all ears.

I have a 13hp Honda engine and a 12V Beckett burner and I run a 20" Landa Water Jet surfacer. I do mostly residential houses, roofs and flatwork with some commercial thrown in. I would like to get as many gpms as possible but from what I've read, 3500+psi is needed for concrete flatwork. That severely limits my choices in the direct drive dept....

I replaced a 4000psi/4gpm direct drive pump with a 3000/5.5 gear drive. Actual pressure is lower, but gpm's is right and it cleans MUCH better. Added benefit is I can draw from my tank if need be.

I replaced a 4000psi/4gpm direct drive pump with a 3000/5.5 gear drive. Actual pressure is lower, but gpm's is right and it cleans MUCH better. Added benefit is I can draw from my tank if need be.

Which pump did you get and where?

What engine are you running that on?

What pressure do you put out now?

Does your burner still heat your water sufficiently?

If the price is right, I'd love to do just that!

Thanks,

OK, I've spent the past few hrs digging around on this idea. Does anyone see anything wrong with going with a TS2021 (5.6GPM/3500PSI) and a gear box?

I could always upgrade the engine later...

Any idea what kind of pressure to expect with my 13hp engine?

Also, I know that I'd have to adjust the unloader to a lower pressure. Can someone walk me through that senario? I've never touched my last unloader.

Thanks again John for the idea...

My first machine was a 13 horse Honda and a gearbox machine. It worked pretty good. It had the right ratings. If you can I would go with it. Make sure you put antisieze on the shaft and on any connections to the motor.

I'm pretty sure its a Comet FW 5530. Honda 13hp. Approx 2400 psi. This is on a portable cold water machine. BTW, it just barley fit on the cart, in fact, I had to do a little re-plumbing. I paid $300 plus shipping on eBay. Seller was Jerryk77. He has "stuff" listen currently, but I do not see a gear drive right now.

Of course, if you have any other pump/unloader suggestions, I'm all ears.

I have a 13hp Honda engine and a 12V Beckett burner and I run a 20" Landa Water Jet surfacer. I do mostly residential houses, roofs and flatwork with some commercial thrown in. I would like to get as many gpms as possible but from what I've read, 3500+psi is needed for concrete flatwork. That severely limits my choices in the direct drive dept....

I disagree that this will severly limit your flatwork. I am running a GP 2011 at 2300 psi and 4.75gpm hot water and I zip through flatwork with no problem. The GPM is your friend, and will come in handy for house washes. The little time you lose, if any on concrete will be easily made up on housewashes. Houses, decks, etc will be low pressure, with high GPM for speed. Raise your GPM even if it costs you some PSI. I could change a pulley on my machine and lower GPM to 4 and up PSI to 3500, but choose not to.

Just my .02.

Thanks Scott,

I put my order in today for a TS2021 and a gearbox. Bill was $550. I figure that I will get around 2500psi out of it. That is, until I get a bigger engine...

Thanks for all of the replies...

Joel,

If you are looking for a pump check here http://www.envirospec.com/pdfs/pump.pdf it is a good source to find a pump that is rated for your motor. You can put a ts2021 on a 13 hp it will give you 5.6 gpm at 2,500psi the cool drive has that pump on it http://mobicleaninc.com/store/category/a3ft/Pressure_Washers.html .

Thanks Paul,

Envirospec's pumps were a bit too expensive for me. They're TS2021 was $462 after the 10% discount. I got my pump, fully plumbed with unloader, thermal relief valve, pressure saftey valve, bypass hose and water filter for $397 from watercannon. I did, however, get the gearbox from Envirospec. They had the best price by far - $153 after discount...

That's good to know that that pump and engine combination is good enough of a solution to be offered commercially. Puts my mind at rest...

There is absolutely nothing wronrg with a general EZ4040 90% of seal failures are due to a lack of water there is however a choice to be made the pump from higher power has a much better unloader not knowing the price differances in cost would be your choice. If you are a serious power washer consider a Belt drive 13hp honda with a General TS1511 it will offer you more duability.