Sign in to follow this  
Rick G

All in one set up

Currently I have a direct drive set up. I would like to change over to a belt drive system. I was wondering, if I got a large enough engine could I run everything off that one motor, but not all at once, here's what I envision, a large motor with a longer shaft and that is belted into a high pressure pump, generator, a high volume low pressure chem. pump (to replace the shur flow) and a vac/blower for reclaiming. Now the blower, generator and the chem. pump I would like to be able to disengage the belts on them while not in use. Am I dreaming? I have seen skid units where it was set up to belt drive the generator and the pump so I based my theory around that. I start the motor, engage the chem. pump and put down chem., disengage that pump and engage the generator to start the burner, pressure clean with hot, disengage the gen and engage the blower to start reclaim process as I cold water rinse. As you can see the max load on the motor will only be two items at one time. I will keep my current machine the way it is for back up or to run a second gun. Tell me why this will or will not work please or suggestions you may have on how to engage/disengage the belts. Thanks Rick G

Rick,

With the use of a clutch system you can do some of those things. However, there will be times when you need that vacuum blower running during the whole wash process.

One hotwater skid, one hvlp chemical pump and a vacuum source would be the better way in my opinion. If something were to break, you could work around it, rather than having everything relying on that one engine.

Carpet cleaning machines have an engine, pressure pump, and a vacuum blower. Most run off a clutch type system. For a machine with a 20 HP air cooled engine, they run about $15,000. and that is just the machine and no vehicle to carry it in.

So unless you are real handy in the shop and can get parts cheap and assemble yourself, this dream machine will cost some major bucks.

sure, with clutches, belts, and one hell of a mechanic, oh yeah, and alot of money. That would be a big waste of money, and as Alan said, when the engine goes, everything goes. Get everything seperate, will cost less and be less of a headache.

What you invision can be done if you have design / engineering skills. The cost will depend on your design skills. A set-up like that will take up a lot more space than most folks have on their trailer or on a truck because you will need a jackshaft with guarding around it and guarding to all the units that are driven from it. The maintenance will also be more cumbersome and costly due to the jackshaft, bearings and clutches you would need.

Best bet is to keep the units separate as said by the others.

Rick,

It is ideas like this that advance our industry and streamline equipment setups. Here is my thoughts. The belt drives the pump, and generator. Use a 12 volt burner so the generator can be used to operate the vac system and chemical pump this way you can use about a 24 horse engine and the foot print is not as large in your trailer, van or truck. And it is not as custom and will cost less to build.

Robert Williamson

Pressure Tek Sales

1-888-898-0908

Robert,

Rick is wanting to use a rotary lobe blower like that on carpet cleaning units. This is also a belt drive item.

There will be many times that the pressure pump, burner and vacuum will need to be going at the same time, or the chemical pump and the vacuum to catch chem run off.

This system will require a very good size engine and a water cooled one would be best. The nissan A15 is a popular choice among carpet machine builders. It is the same one that comes or came in the Sentra.

If a system like this were to be built, you would want a bigger generator than the standard 2000 watt found on most skid units. This will also be calling for a larger engine.

Alan,

You bring up some good points. I was thinking about using a sump type pickup system. You are right, a 25 horse would not do it. You would need a 30 horse engine. This would be enough power to run a 5.5 GPM @ 3500 PSI pump and a 5000 watt generator. I have never delt with reclaiming. This is where my knowledge is not that great. Although I do see the need to learn more about reclaiming. I am always willing to learn about every aspect of the pressure cleaning industry. That is why these boards are so great because we all know different areas of the industry.

Robert Williamson

Pressure Tek Sales

1-888-898-0908

Robert,

I have a hotwater skid with a 2000 watt generator. It is 5@3500 and uses a Honda 20 HP. I also run a rotary blower and that uses a 12 Hp, and my 6000 watt generator runs a 14 hp.

So based on this, I would say that Rick would need at least 50 horsepower if he wanted the unit to last a while.

Amazing what you can learn by asking a question. My original thought was it would be less money, take up less space and save fuel. There is a lot to take into consideration. I currently use a sump pump to reclaim but as Alan said I am close to rebuilding my rig and am looking to go with a blower type set up. Alan, where would be a good place to purchase a good blower? And how much for a new one and a reconditioned one without the engine (I’m prepared; if it’s like everything else in this industry its not going to be cheep!) Thanks everyone for responding. Rick G

Figure on a new blower costing in the area of $2000.00. You will need a frame to mount it on, misc pulley's, belts ,silencer(muffler) and of course an engine which will cost another $1000.00 plus. This is only for the vacuum and does not include a waste tank system.

As far as used ones, I have no idea. Check with the local carpet cleaning dealers and see if they have any reconditioned blowers.

I warn you now though as they may try to convince you to buy a carpet machine and they will say that it will do everything you want it to. You do not want a carpet machine, no matter what they tell you. They are not rated for this type of work.

As far as cost goes, it may end up costing less for an all in one as opposed to buying seperate, but when going all in one you need to pay for one big unit, as with seperates you can add on and take away as needed.

This dream machine can be done, but will cost over $20,000. even getting the parts for a good deal. Alot of engineering will be needed and that will not come cheap, so this may be closer to $30,000.00. Don't forget the vehicle to go with it.