Sign in to follow this  
Buckeye

Lance Question in Regards to Downstreaming

Question

I was watching another guy pressure wash today and he never changed tips on his wand when switching from low pressure soap application to higher pressure rinse mode. I never got a chance to ask him about it as I had to run an errand that couldn't wait. So my question is in regards to this setup. Is there a way that you can syphon from your soap and then rinse afterwards without changing tips? How is this accomplished?

12 answers to this question

Hi Buck

Maybe it was a dual lance - one gun/trigger into a twist valve with two lances, or just a dual nozzle holder on end of single lance.

Did you see the spray pattern change?

Hi Buck

Maybe it was a dual lance - one gun/trigger into a twist valve with two lances, or just a dual nozzle holder on end of single lance.

Did you see the spray pattern change?

I feel like such a newbie..lol...which I am..anyway, I never knew about dual lances until this morning or I should say I've seen them mentioned but never researched it. Everyone I've always talked to or seen on these message boards has said they love downstreaming and that they switch tips to acheive the syphon vs rinsing stages. This dual lance thing seems like the way to go or am I missing something. Seems like it would save some time and mess always having to switch tips back and forth. Any feedback would be appreciated. Ahhhh the joys of being a newbie.

Thanks again,

Chris

Buckeye,

I use a duel-lance all the time over here in the UK, it has a 25% nozzle & I think a 60% nozzle low pressure tip. You control the lance via a handle on the side, (bit like a motorbike throttle) So when in the closed position, you just have the 25% nozzle flowing, twist the handle to open second tube and the other nozzle comes into play.The more you twist the handle the more water comes out of the second nozzle. Great bit of kit and saves changing tips etc.

Roger

Everyone I've always talked to or seen on these message boards has said they love downstreaming and that they switch tips to acheive the syphon vs rinsing stages. This dual lance thing seems like the way to go or am I missing something. Seems like it would save some time and mess always having to switch tips back and forth. Any feedback would be appreciated. Ahhhh the joys of being a newbie.

Thanks again,

Chris

You can only use a dual lance for close rinsing. To get the height you need a 0 degree large orifice nozzle so you are getting the right pressure and flow.

Hi Buck

Welcome

When downsteaming it is the low pressure that allows the injector to draw in chemicals. I get the low pressure by using a #40 or #50 tip for spraying the chems, but generally, the lower the pressure the more suction, more chems injected. My set up (15 litres/min ~ about 4 gpm & 3600psi) will still draw chems with a #20 tip. I often wash/rinse with the #20, so need to return to pump to turn off injector.

You will need to experiment with your gear to find out which tips draw chems, and how much, and be aware of this when washing/rinsing.

You got it. The high low gives you the drop in pressure for soaping and the high pressure for rinsing. They are also adjustable like the M5 so you can change your spray pattern from a 0 degree up to like 100 degrees fo soaping and 0 - about 25 for rinsing, depending oun your pressure. If you like a wider fan you can bend the fins in a little so they meet tighter for pressure. I use them all the time now, they are pretty durable and I have found them to be the best for downstreaming.

If I could rinse with my 4040 tip all the time I would but time restraints have me putting in a 25110 tip for rinsing when I am not near the trailer. Putting in a higher pressure tip just seems to reduce the flow too much and rinsing takes longer than it should. I will lay chem on a house side and, if it isnt the sunny side, will stroll back to the trailer and close the injector. Better, faster rinsing and low pressure. I am working on something to do this remotely and will post when I am done. Unless I am cramped for space I use a 79" aluminum wand for walls and have a new short 12 inch gun that I use for decks, screen porches and railings.

I love the dual lance with the m5 x jet nozzle to rinse. I use a shooter tip for hieghts to 40 feet that automically draw because of the low pressure and a 25 degree soap tip for everything it reaches. I use the m5 to pre rinse and rinse the soap off. I don't depend on the dual lance to draw soap, mostly just to tone down the pressure using the m5 when rinsing so I don't damage anything.