Sign in to follow this  
SQUEEKY

First Deck

Question

Hello out there deck guru's

these are before pics of my first deck job. not sure of the wood pretty sure it's PT pine. also not sure of the coating? behre maybe? from what I've gathered here these are the steps to restore.

1)

test sample are to be striped note dwell time. apply stripper(hd-80? or f-18?) let dwell, remove sludge with not more than 900 PSI.

A)DO I LET IT DRY BEFORE I ADD THE BRIGHTNER?

B) how do you reclaim the sludge and chems if at all?

C) what are the prep procedures to protect surrounding vinyl siding?

2)

apply brightener taking precautions to protect siding. CITRACLEAN instruction call for the area to be misted with the product until desired results are achieved.

A) what are the desired results i am looking for?

B) should i cover windows before application?

C) any prep or mixing tips that i should be aware of?

3)

stain or seal? and here's the latest proof of my being a newbie...

A) what is the difference between a stain and seal??

B) how to apply? i have a HVLP sprayer but it cannot spray oil based paint?

C) will the prep materials(tape and card board?) i used for stripping and brightening still be usable for staining? should i re prep area?

is there anything i am missing??

thanks

9 answers to this question

how to upload pics?

If you scroll down from the dialogue box in which you wrote your reply, you will see the "Manage Attachments" button. Click on it, and you will be prompted to browse your computer for the pics you want. They may require resizing to be postable. I use Microsoft Photodraw to do this, and have never used anything else, so resizing is a mystery to me with other programs.

Trust me though, if I can get pics posted, you will be able to.

I'm not really much of a computer wiz, but others here will chime in fast, I'm sure.:)

Hello out there deck guru's

these are before pics of my first deck job. not sure of the wood pretty sure it's PT pine. also not sure of the coating? behre maybe? from what I've gathered here these are the steps to restore.

1)

test sample are to be striped note dwell time. apply stripper(hd-80? or f-18?) let dwell, remove sludge with not more than 900 PSI.

A)DO I LET IT DRY BEFORE I ADD THE BRIGHTNER?

B) how do you reclaim the sludge and chems if at all?

C) what are the prep procedures to protect surrounding vinyl siding?

2)

apply brightener taking precautions to protect siding. CITRACLEAN instruction call for the area to be misted with the product until desired results are achieved.

Citraclean is a housewash - not a neutralizer/brightener. Are you mistaking this for Citralic??

A) what are the desired results i am looking for?

B) should i cover windows before application?

C) any prep or mixing tips that i should be aware of?

3)

stain or seal? and here's the latest proof of my being a newbie...

A) what is the difference between a stain and seal??

B) how to apply? i have a HVLP sprayer but it cannot spray oil based paint?

C) will the prep materials(tape and card board?) i used for stripping and brightening still be usable for staining? should i re prep area?

is there anything i am missing??

thanks

You should look up Matt Bartholf (Wonder Wash) and see if he'll let you do a ride-along. He's in the Charlotte area and does some nice wood work. Doing a wood job is always easier if you've been "hand held" along the way!

Celeste

PJ -

I'll help anyway I can. The season is slowing but we've got a couple of decks & a fence on the schedule this week. If you'd like to get some hands on feel free to give me a call:

704-516-8166

Matt