Sign in to follow this  
squirtgun

US war combat death through time

Question

http://members.aol.com/usregistry/allwars.htm

When looking at the three previous real wars 3000 lives lost is a relatively small number.It's a shame that any have to be lost,but it is the negative side of any war.If it weren't for todays war machine this number would be considerably higher.

Just a little over 60 yrs ago our country men were signing-up or being drafted to fight Hitler and The land of the Rising Sun by the thousands.Then our president and troops had the full support of every man,woman and child.Now shamefully Amercians stand in the streets protesting the president or our people and elected leaders bash our troops.

5 yrs ago we stood in shock as we were attacked on our own soil by a relatively unknown foe.We cried,prayed and held our loves one close and demanded someone take action.That action has been going on in Afghanistan and Iraq.Yet there are those who have nothing but negative things to say about our leaders and troops.

I as an American am proud of our president and troops.They have job far more difficult than you or I can imagine,but they do it daily,with faith and perseverance.I salute them and pray for them daily.

I also am thankful for those who have gone before them for their sacrifices.If it were not for them,who knows what language we may be speaking or if we would even have the freedom to say the things we do in public or on a BBS like this one.

7 answers to this question

http://members.aol.com/usregistry/allwars.htm

When looking at the three previous real wars 3000 lives lost is a relatively small number.It's a shame that any have to be lost,but it is the negative side of any war.If it weren't for todays war machine this number would be considerably higher.

Just a little over 60 yrs ago our country men were signing-up or being drafted to fight Hitler and The land of the Rising Sun by the thousands.Then our president and troops had the full support of every man,woman and child.Now shamefully Amercians stand in the streets protesting the president or our people and elected leaders bash our troops.

5 yrs ago we stood in shock as we were attacked on our own soil by a relatively unknown foe.We cried,prayed and held our loves one close and demanded someone take action.That action has been going on in Afghanistan and Iraq.Yet there are those who have nothing but negative things to say about our leaders and troops.

I as an American am proud of our president and troops.They have job far more difficult than you or I can imagine,but they do it daily,with faith and perseverance.I salute them and pray for them daily.

I also am thankful for those who have gone before them for their sacrifices.If it were not for them,who knows what language we may be speaking or if we would even have the freedom to say the things we do in public or on a BBS like this one.

This is why I feel that 18-20 yr olds should have to serve this country so they can always remain patriotic and to help them grow up with a strong sense of values instead of burning our flags and saying that our own President is the worst person in the world...Oh in case anyone cares my wife disagree's with me about making it automatic that 18-20yr olds should have to serve.... My house is divided:) wait my wife is a registered republican so where not that divided:)

AMEN TO THAT John.

I think all should serve at least 2 years, but voluntarily, not compulsory. Its a shame that only by compulsory service will that happen. Gen X has it way too easy and no real incentive to serve. Fortunately those that volunteer for the military now, knowing full well where they are going to end up, THEY will be the next generations leaders, not the ones that protest and avoid any kind of service. I believe that if you look at those kids, this country is on the right track for the future.

what that table doesnt show is the casualties as a percent of population, or the cost as a percent of GDP. The revolutanary war and civil war, compared to vietnam and now were unbelievably costly in terms of the population at that time and the ammount it cost.

what that table doesnt show is the casualties as a percent of population, or the cost as a percent of GDP. The revolutanary war and civil war, compared to vietnam and now were unbelievably costly in terms of the population at that time and the ammount it cost.

So we should put a cost cap on our nations safety or our personal freedom?

I think not.

So, the only question left is, how many deaths seem like a reasonable number for this cause, Scott?

Here's an intersting quote in the vein of your post:

Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country. It works the same in every country. - Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall at the Nuremberg trials

Scary! Huh?

Even one dealth is too much, but it is a war. In 2004 there was 16,137 murders in the US and I don't think we are at war on our home grounds.

Unfortunately, the soldiers "get it" more than the general public. I have talked to many who have been in Iraq two and three times but most said they are ready to go back. They actually not only the see the bad that goes on, but also the good.

May God bless them and keep them safe!

Terry

PS: No matter how you vote, please vote tomorrow.