Sign in to follow this  
SQUEEKY

property management

anybody have any experience working for a prop. mgr.? i have an opportunity to work for one but he is currently using a painter for cleaning his prop.

this guy is REALLY CHEAP but he is offering volume? my question is what do you consider volume? and how would you adjust your rate according to that volume?

I wouldn't go cheap. Yes its great to be busy. BUT, being busy and making a little profit or next to none isn't acceptable in my book. Remember it cost money just to say goodmorning. I know what my fixed expenses are to just wake up. Not to mention the wear and tear on the equipment, I no longer compromise on price. It costs me to much...

"cheap" and "offering volume" are the keywords that make me run in the other direction. Offering volume and contracting for it in writing are two different beasts. Every HOA and prop managament company knows that is the oldest trick in the book. Bill L mentioned this and I agree. I'd rather have no customer than a bad one.

Cheap and offering volume translates into "bend over baby". You do NOT want to get started out in a situation where one contractor owns you and you potentially LOSE money. If you want some more details, call me. We did it first year and it was brutal....busy is good but it wasn't worth it when we crunched the numbers.

Celeste

PJ, prices on HOA / PM work usually are less than residential rates, but that doesnt mean cheap. If its a painter its probably cheaper than what it should be, at least thats how it goes around here. See if the PM will tell you/show you the rates he's paid to this painter. if the rates are ridiculous and they are happy with the work, you may not want to bother

Try to sell on quality & reliability.

My company can do say 10 buildings for $300 each = $3000 total, residential rates might be much higher. $300 might seem real cheap and the painter charges $300 also, but it takes him 6-7 days to do the job, That job takes me with total of 3 guys and we do it in 1- 2 days. labor , materials, built in cost, cost me $800-1200, I make anywhere from $1800- $2200 EASY mney and I dont even do any of the washing.

PM's are good to get in with but not if you cant make any money

I never like to hear VOLUME from anyone, you just cant believe it. If a PM wants a property cleaned he should want a fair price for that one property and it shouldnt matter how many OTHER properties he manages

I love working with PM's