Sign in to follow this  
Camelot

The benefit to throwing in a small free service...

Question

My company offers a "multi-service" discount to customers that have their house and driveway/sidewalk cleaned at the same time. I had a homeowner that wanted their house cleaned yesterday, but didn't see the benefit in having her concrete cleaned.

I cleaned half of her front porch (see attached) and called her outside. I explained that I cleaned her porch at no extra charge so I could illustrate how nice the front of the house would look with clean concrete. She had me do both immediately! She couldn't believe the difference. In this case, I don't think a test spot would have had the same "wow" effect.

I just thought it would be cool to point out that sometimes as much as we hate to give away service, it can sometimes benefit you more than you imagined!

- John

post-1695-13777217018_thumb.jpg

5 answers to this question

John

That was just great salesmanship. Amazing how 3 mins. can make a better day. By explaining that you are already there and set up,and the differance you can make,and this is all customer benefit.That was professional.

I quite often look for something small, that the customer will obviously notice,and just do it. So when they get home, see it,and realize it was free. It gives them more reason to be talking about "Revive" and the job we did.The more people talk about us the better.

My company offers a "multi-service" discount to customers that have their house and driveway/sidewalk cleaned at the same time. I had a homeowner that wanted their house cleaned yesterday, but didn't see the benefit in having her concrete cleaned.

I cleaned half of her front porch (see attached) and called her outside. I explained that I cleaned her porch at no extra charge so I could illustrate how nice the front of the house would look with clean concrete. She had me do both immediately! She couldn't believe the difference. In this case, I don't think a test spot would have had the same "wow" effect.

I just thought it would be cool to point out that sometimes as much as we hate to give away service, it can sometimes benefit you more than you imagined!

- John

I've always been a believer in doing something extra when I can..it's worked to get me more work, referreals, repeats, etc.

I always do the front porch along with a housewash.

sometimes the customer tells me "no" they just do not want that done even if i do the same as you did mike. so what do i do? the same thing that you guys have proably done also...do it anyway and don't charge. naturally, it has to be something that is not timely or costly. i have found that leaving certain things uncleaned actually takes away from the job that i just did. we've all done it i'm sure. aren't we nice?

rando

Had a customer do the same thing last week. Cleaned the walk way from house to driveway and before I could leave they wanted there driveway done. They did not think there driveway look that bad until they saw how clean everything else was clean. Doing little things make a big difference.