Sign in to follow this  
Neil_Asheville

Linseed oil on locust

Question

Good morning. Does anyone have any experience finishing Locust?

I saw a gorgeous deck the other day and knew I hadn't seen this decking material before. First though was Garapa, beige/yellow and very hard, somewhere between ipe and teak for lb/ft. Turns out to be good ol' local Appalachian Locust. I contacted the distributor/mill and they recommend straight linseed oil rub.

I understand Linseed has been used on woods for 100's of years, but can also serve as a nice mold buffet. I'd welcome any experience or opinion on finishing milled locust. Grain pattern is gorgeous.

/neil

4 answers to this question

Neil,

I've finished locust but no where near the size of a deck. Never heard of, let alone seen a locust deck. Replaced my Weber grill wood years ago with locust and just refinished with exterior poly this spring. Sanded and finished, locust is a very attractive wood.

Straight linseed is going to be a boatload of mold/mildew trouble. I would think any premium oil based exterior stains such as WTW or RS would be ok.

Good morning. Does anyone have any experience finishing Locust?

I saw a gorgeous deck the other day and knew I hadn't seen this decking material before. First though was Garapa, beige/yellow and very hard, somewhere between ipe and teak for lb/ft. Turns out to be good ol' local Appalachian Locust. I contacted the distributor/mill and they recommend straight linseed oil rub.

I understand Linseed has been used on woods for 100's of years, but can also serve as a nice mold buffet. I'd welcome any experience or opinion on finishing milled locust. Grain pattern is gorgeous.

/neil

....linseed oil would be fine, if the locust were going to hibernate for 16 years after you stained it. Badumpbump. :)

---Jon Fife/PWNA Toastmaster

Neil,

Those are the instructions of someone used to doing interior work. On an interior surface, straight Linseed is beautiful---blackens the grain, etc. Like Rick, go with what you know. Treat this like you'd treat anything else---you'll be fine. I keep asking this---have any of you guys ever seen a floor of Australian Cypress?? That is my #1 wood right now.....if I can build a new home in a couple years, it will definitely be my interior flooring. Haven't researched it for a deck. I may just leave the interior concrete and have Celeste come and Overlay it like Australian Cypress:)

I can't keep track of all the woods being labeled hardwood and being used for decks.. definitely the wave of the future. To reiterate what has already ben said, linseed oil outside will turn black in a month. Linseed is a good drying oil but it needs mildewcide added in pretty copious quantity.