Sign in to follow this  
RyanH

Improving time?

Question

I read many posts on this site claiming that it is possible to clean 1000 to 2000 square feet of concrete per hour. My question is: what method is being used? What is the fastest way to clean concrete? The best I am able to accomplish is about 500 square feet per hour (less if it is *really* dirty). I am comfortable using a wand for my cleaning. Does a surface cleaner really make such a huge difference?

Thanks all!

Ryan Holbird

3 answers to this question

Yes a surface cleaner makes a huge difference. Imagine mowing the lawn with a weed wacker as compared to a lawn mower.

Not only will the weed wacker take more time, but making it even is even more trouble for large areas. The surface cleaner is vary similar to the mower in that you can cover more area faster and the height of the tips is the same, which makes for an even cleaning.

A wand is fine for a very small area, like concrete steps or something like that....anything larger and you're crazy not to use a surface cleaner. I've been where you are before I knew any better, and I hated doing concrete...my back and neck would be killing me after an hour or two, and I'd be filthy and wet from all the blow-back. If you do much concrete at all, the surfacer will pay for itself in a matter of weeks. Depending on what type of concrete you do, and how much, and what size washer you're using, will determine what size and type will work best for you. If you do a lot of large areas, and you have a 5 gpm or larger machine, a 30" would be perfect. If you do a lot of smaller areas like sidewalks and smaller driveways, a 20 or 24" would work better. I'd stay away from the 16" unless you have extremely narrow walkways or something like that, it just doesn't have the coverage, and thus doesn't help speed you up nearly as much.