Sign in to follow this  
DustinC

red dirt on vinyl

Question

How do you handle red dirt on vinyl.Theres a lot of new construction in my area stirring up dust and covering homes with it. I tried several soaps that wont touch it.For small spots oxalic works great but I would'nt xjet it on a entire home for obvious reasons.No vinyl safe amount of pressure is effective in removing it.The only method I've found that works well is a brush.

13 answers to this question

If its just red dust, that will usually come off with a good detergent I use Simple Cherry from Bob @ Pressure Tek. But if its been on for a while the only thing I know to do is what you are doing and thats brush it. We have a lot of red clay in GA, so I know what you are going through.

I have used the auto parts store purple stuff and some from wallyworld.....it works okay on vinyl....I still hadnt found a great cleaner for foundation walls.....was wondering about HCL or Muratic acid for those but hadnt tried it.

....I still hadnt found a great cleaner for foundation walls.....was wondering about HCL or Muratic acid for those but hadnt tried it.

i use muratic at 20:1, then wand off with 40 deg tip, any set in stained areas treat with oxalic in pump up. the muratic does the trick 99% of the time. straight lances without the angled end are best for foundations.

on new construction i use a dual lance with 2 40 deg tips to keep the pressure down as to not skin up the crete.

Had a job yesterday where the owner called and said "I need some rust stains removed from a walkway" so I packed up the oxalic and the X-jet M5 and headed over. Turned out to be red dirt which is odd for this area so the fill for the foundation was brought in from inland somewhere. The oxalic didn't do much at all and I forgot my F-18. Just ordered some more and will go back to test that on it. Did pick up five hours of work cleaning the garage floor, two decks and all the walkways as well as the paved drive.