Sign in to follow this  
RCBill

music downloads

Question

37 answers to this question

search for "Ares galaxy" "Bit Lord" that you dld Bit Torrent files it's much faster than your usual P2P file sharing programs.

Fife ...that Limewire usually has some Spyware and uses more system resources.

Mike--I'm only answering so it didn't seem that I ignored your question. I couldn't have less of a clue. I just have the free--and don't have any other experience with other sites. In other words, you couldn't ask a worse person, LOL:) Maybe Beth can advise, BTW, a couple of my workers are pretty young and they are the ones that put me onto this stuff.....they also mentioned www.bearshare.com

The young 'uns (20's group) around here are limewire users - they don't like the bearshare, have heard of Ares but haven't used it. I downloaded Limewire and evidently was too honest when signing in to get songs? I can't get anything recent....thank goodness my daughter has about 2000 songs on her computer so I just hook up to hers :)

Santa brought me the coolest speakers that my Shuffle hooks to so I can plug it into them instead of my head while at my desk.

mp3 thing....Bill, you're too funny :)

The young 'uns (20's group) around here are limewire users - they don't like the bearshare, have heard of Ares but haven't used it. I downloaded Limewire and evidently was too honest when signing in to get songs? I can't get anything recent....thank goodness my daughter has about 2000 songs on her computer so I just hook up to hers :)

Santa brought me the coolest speakers that my Shuffle hooks to so I can plug it into them instead of my head while at my desk.

mp3 thing....Bill, you're too funny :)

www.kazaa.com

search for "Ares galaxy" "Bit Lord" that you dld Bit Torrent files it's much faster than your usual P2P file sharing programs.

Fife ...that Limewire usually has some Spyware and uses more system resources.

Links baby, links...a good thread is nothing without links... ;)

Beth :cup:

Links baby, links...a good thread is nothing without links... ;)

Beth :cup:

I'll chime in -

1.) Limewire - P2P/Filesharing App minus the spyware - get it at www.limewire.com. I would steer clear of kazaa and bearshare, just my opinion. http://www.limewire.com

2.) Bit Torrent - http://www.bittorrent.com/ There are over a couple of hundred Bit Torrent Clients out there. Each does it's own unique thing. Bit Torrent works a little different than your average P2P Filesharing app. Too long to explain it here.

3.) There's also the Apple ITunes Store where you can buy songs for 99 cents a song. I don't use this , but I thought it was worth a mention since the songs are a sure fire way of getting a complete song w/o the hassle of wondering. http://www.apple.com/itunes/

Also for those of you using P2P Filesharing, might I suggest using PeerGuardian as an addon - Go read about it here: http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/

I downloaded the program.But i dont see how to get the tunes??

• Click the Audio Tab
  • You can search for songs by artist or title
  • click search
  • search results will load in a window.
  • sort the results by SPEED
  • double click the song title to begin download - take the fastest connection you can.
  • view download progress in the lower part of the window.
  • Once it reads 100% complete double click it in the lower part of the window to listen to it and verify that it is the quality you want ( no skips and so forth, yes it can happen)

Enjoy!

Beth

Beth,

I downloaded some selections, and they now show up on my ITunes program in the shared folder, but I can't get them to transfer into my Ipod, or even play (in iTunes). They will play in Limewire. How do you transfer them into your Ipod?

Great question! Let's see if I can answer it....

In iTunes....

• Go to File
  • then in the drop down Add Folder to Library
  • then browse to the folder and highlight it then click OK
  • once they are in your music library you can check or uncheck them ( check them if you want them added)
  • then where it says "Larry's ipod" go to settings...
  • from there I think there is an option to add songs....

I think that is how I did it....

Beth

I am a little nervous about using a P2P site like Limewire. I remember how the original Napster was put out of business due to providing free music downloads. My nephew is a Network Admin for the State of Connecticut. He told me in no uncertain terms not to allow my daughter to use Limewire for music downloads. I;m not sure if his statements were due to potential spyware issues or legal issues like those of the original napster. Either way, I will only use a pay per download site like iTunes Store. Better safe than sorry. Just my two cents on the subject. If anyone has spoken to a lawyer about this subjest it would be interesting to hear what they had to say.

We bought our 14 yr old son the 2GB Creative Labs Zen V mp3 for xmas. Well it's froze up on him several times now and I did some researching on it and a lot of people are having the same problem. Figures I didn't see this during my initial research, oh well. We are going to trade it in for an ipod today. Great links on song downloads, thanks.