Sign in to follow this  
DustinC

rust on stucco

Question

23 answers to this question

How would you handle these rust streaks.I have avoided it so far but the thought of using oxalic on stucco makes my knees weak.

rare cases oxalic can lighten stucco. I would clean the area as good as possible getting rid of the dirt, mold & mildew and then would brush on Oxalic 2lbs to a 5 to start, Id probably would go stronger. Even if it lightens it a little, it will look better than it does now. There are other produucts out there too

I wouldnt worry to much since its the side of the steps, tell the HO it may lighten it a little

JL

I'm worried it will lighten up the stucco color too much.I've heard of this happening before.so I've always shyed away from removing mineral/rust deposits from stucco.

I posted before I read Jeff.Thanks guys I'll test in a inconspicious area as soon as I start and check later when I go around to hit the rust.Its three buildings for a retail development company and they say there are more so I want them to be happy.

Dustin...ox on stucco worked for me pretty well. Just don't let it dwell very long. Don't just glob it on and then let it set for a long time. I just put it in a spray bottle put it on, wait for the bubbles to stop then rinse (about 20 sec if I remember right). Then apply another coat if needed. It took about 10 coats for me, but it turned out great.

If anyone here operates in or near Riverdale / Fayetteville, GA, you should try this out on Evander Holyfield's place. He has an iron fence along the front of his property with stucco columns...dozens of them.. and a low stucco wall between each one, and it is plagued with these stains along the entire length. Accessibility may be an issue as the fence looks to be a few hundred yards from the house, so one might need a rather large container of water.

P. Doolittle....I'm sure you drive by this place often, ever tried to submit a proposal?

Dustin,

Looks good. I like the before and after shots being sent to the customer. It lets them look back at it and remember the quality of work that you performed and they should call on you again.

Anthony

For future refference HD sells stuff called Rust Aid. It's done wonders on stuff that oxilic and muratic didn't work on.

ISYHTRAH