Sign in to follow this  
the_GUNN_man

SHURflo and Flojet users

Question

SHURflo vs. Flojet, is there a preference of one over the other? What is the common psi and gpm most of you use? I want to use it when I wash my cars. Right now I use two guns when I wash cars. I use the first gun to downstream the soap and to rinse. The second gun I use for the DI rinse. I want to eliminate the down-streaming of the soap and I don't want to have a third machine running for the soap. The down-streaming worked good when it was just me and one other guy. Now I have myself and 2 others on the lot with me. It becomes a pain sometimes because one guy is rinsing and more cars need to be soaped and the guy has to wait on the guy to get done rinsing before he can continue. Another reason I want to switch is too much time wasted clearing the line of soap. I was just wondering what is a good psi and gpm for this type of application? I want to go with the 12 volt and strap it to a cart with a 15 gallon tank and a battery. Is that coil hose any good they advertise with the trigger gun? I appreciate any info anyone could give me on these type pumps.

13 answers to this question

Steve,

I am building a set up with a shurflo,60 psi - 1gpm,to use for spraying house wash.This with a 30 gal tank.You'll ned to add an on / off switch,unless you use an on demand type,I think they will run constantly and spray when you open the trigger on the wand.

I believe doing a car lot you'll need to mount it all on a hand dolly for mobility.The one I am building has set me back about $200,I think Aplus has a pic posted on the board of one he uses.Good luck on this,seems like it would be a great tool for your application.

I have seen the pics of how they are setup I was just wondering what psi and what gpm. When I downstream I am using a 5.2 gpm machine plus how much comes out with the soap. Would 1 gpm be enough? I was looking at the 45 psi/3.0 gpm shurflo. In washing cars it is all about speed so I need it to soap a car down in about 7 seconds.

I use a cold water machine to spray my DI water. I just don't want to have 3 machines and 3 hoses going at the same time. The hoses often get tangled with just two. I thought it would be much easier to have a shurflo to spray the soap. It would stay ahead of everything else and shouldn't get in the way.

Steve,

Step up to the bigger pump,it will cover a lot more area,a lot faster.I forgot about you needing something fast,we don't do cars,yet,we have been talking to a couple of car lots,just not sure if we are ready to handle 400 to 600 cars a week.The great thing is both have DI and we can fill our tanks from their DI systems,if we decide to get into the car washing.

We have been downstreaming. I am going to try and explain this the best I can. This is how we were doing cars a month ago. 2 men and 2 machines. Machine one we downstreamed the soap and gave a soft water rinse with. Machine two is a cold water machine used for the DI rinse. We would soap the cars, then my partner would wash the sides of the car and I would use my wash mit on a stick to do the hoods, roofs, and trunks. Then we would soft water rinse to get the soap off, then go over it with the DI water for the spot free rinse. In the last month things have changed. My dad is retired and has become bored. He says he would help for free as long as it wasn't too physical. Me turn down free help no way. Now we have 3 men and two machines. My dad soaps the cars, I wash the hoods, roofs, and trunks, Jeff does the sides of the cars, my dad comes along and gives the soft water rinse and I come behind him with the DI rinse. The problem is that he isn't very fast. I have plenty of work and my dad ends up with too much and Jeff not enough. Jeff is sitting waiting on him to get done rinsing before more cars can be soaped. If I had a shurflo I could have Jeff soap the car and start washing. That way all my dad has to do is just soft water rinse the cars. I also waste way too much time clearing the line of soap. The repsonses I am looking for are only about the shurflo and not about my procedures. We have our method we like to use.

I know one pwer that uses pressurised 3 gallon sprayers to spray soap. He uses standard pw wand and nozzles.

Has converted 30 gal propane tanks into air storeage tanks.

Just refills with soap and than fills with air. Slick and fast.

How about a 5 gallon back pack sprayer?

I think a Shurflow or flow jet would work with a pwer gun and nozzles. If you dont use them I don't think you will get enough volume of soap out. Use a standard automotive battery you can recharge them faster.

Good luck!

I have used a Shur-Flo pump almost from day one, tried a pump up and it would not reach far so did more walking, now I can stand and spray most of the area I need but I will admit I have 100 feet of hose attached to it for drive thoughs.

One thing about those pumps, if your going to run chemicals though them be sure to get the proper pump, some cannot handle harsh chemicals.

Jon

Is that a 4 or 14 gallon back pack sprayer?

Most backpack sprayers are much slower than Shur-flo pumps.

If you're interested in a Shur-flo, I would say that a 1 GPM pump would be too slow for you to use. The 3 GPM would most likely pump out the amount and speed you are looking for.

gunn man

have you ever seen a TRUE 2 step wash unit?

it has twin line's and one gun.

www.mobileclean.com

this is more money and im sure www.tomahawkusa.com is also not up your alley.

I'll tell you this. 12 volt shur-flo's and flo-jet's SUCK.

I have been running hot up-stream soap for 4 year's and never had a problem. So the cheap wash unit just to push soap is a real good idea.

lastly, if you have ever used a roller pump[like chem lawm,lawn rager,ect....] you would'nt even be asking about a 12 volt set-up.

The extra hose is still better then lugging the cart around.

Im not here to tell you your buissness but i will say that the local car lot crew use's only DI water and micofiber towel's.

No soap's or chem's. water on,wipe them down,water rinse

3 guy's and about 2 car's per min.

they use beach towel sized microfiber towel's.

they have a roller pump,huge tank,and a towel wringer.

no need for pressure.

If you do a lot of car's and are going to use a flo-jet? I suggest a 120 volt flo-jet and a power inverter or generator.[use a gfi]