Sign in to follow this  
MelissaMW

What all do you include in your gutter cleaning?

I'm just curious to know what everyone includes in their gutter cleaning service? This is just for gutter cleaning, not for when you're washing the entire house.

We take the debris out (and take it with us to dispose of), clean the inside for mold/algae, flush the downspouts out with high pressure and high volumes of water, wash the outside of the gutters, rinse the sidewalks off if there are any. If we're on a walkable roof, we also walk around and inspect the roof areas.

Sounds like a lot of work, but in reality, we do make some good money off this even with a three man crew.

Generally, I offer just a standard cleaning of the outside of the gutters. If a customer wants, I will clean the debris (leaves, grit from the roof, etc.) out for an additional charge. My standard charge is $0.50 per linear foot of gutter and includes removal of the black streaks / dirt / algae. It also includes me cleaning the outside windows of the house since they get streaked with whatever comes off the gutters (usually I get alot of oxidation of the gutters and white streaks appear on the windows). This price also applies to the downspounts. Working by myself, I can usually make an average of $50 per hour with gutters (and windows). I am particularly fearful of ladders on high spaces, and I really hate having to go up and down many many many times to clean gutters out, so if I do have to clean the gunk out, I get on the roof and blast it out with my wand then rake the stuff up from the yard.

*laughs* I don't go on gutter cleaning jobs, unless I'm going to be the ground man, operating the trucks and pumps. I also have a fear of ladders. I really hate when my husband makes me go up on a ladder onto our roof. Although I'm sure it looks pretty commical with me crab walking on the roof, or clinging to the ladder.

:D YES YES YES!!!! That's me all the way (especially with the crab-walking). I had a painter (in his late 50's) the other day, whom was also on the jobsite, show me how to get onto and around on roofs. No ladder for this guy....he went upstairs, out on a balcony and just climbed up onto the roof. Made me look like a 24-year old baby. BUT, I did learn some things and am *slightly* less afraid. I'm off today to buy a safety harness and rigging supplies. I'm getting married in two weeks and my better half wants me to atleast be able to walk myself to the altar.

Ryan

*laughs* More power to you, I still dont like getting on roofs, ladders, etc. I had to get a heater down from our rafters in the garage, not too high etc. It took me at least 20 minutes to do just that.

We were at a job site that we had pics and ladders set up at, and my husband was on the pic, our guys were doing different things and I was the ground crew making sure things were going ok. Well, all of a sudden I see this guy that's 70ish climbing right UP the ladder and walking to my husband. I'm thinking, oh no!, I'm going to get yelled at who IS this guy! Turns out it's my Mom's girlfriends husband (I'd met him once) and I didn't recognize him. He was doing the roof on the building.

OK, so the story was only sorta related, but, he's now about ... 78ish and STILL working on roofs. I mean, working. Not supervising (my specialty), but carrying bundles up on the roof, right there with the guys. Truly AMAZING to me, and I'm in awe of him. I hope I'm able to do 1/4 of what he can when that age, and I"m only 35.