Sign in to follow this  
mas3372

Granite Counter Tops

Question

Hello,

Well, I just bought my wife a new Pathfinder for New Years - we needed it anyways - so in return, I get to redo the counter tops in the kitchen. Our house is a little over a year old and I can't stand the formica. I do a ton of cooking and want the granite look. We are also adding a 10foot by 28inch wide kidney island in the center to eat at and cook at.

My questions are these.

Does anyone have granite or other stone counter tops they like, don't like, etc. Problems with any. We are also considering the silvinsteen and similars engineered stone.

Granite is pricey but as are the others. In this area, the price is about $100 to $125 ft2 and we will have over 65 ft2 to do. So if anyone knows ways of saving money that would be great as well.

Any help or advise or anything you can think of that would be of help, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

44 answers to this question

Celeste,

If you have already done the tops.The best way to revive the cabinets would be to strip,sand,restain and lacquer(poly will work).You can buy replacment raised panel doors and slab drawer front for around $30 each.

Celeste,

Very intersting.

Is there a market for such a counter top finish in your area/

How extensive is the training?

Is it a difficult procedure to do?

Is it safe for exterior?

Thanks.

Hey Mike,

I feel confident that the market is here - I haven't pushed into it yet because my application comfort zone hasn't topped out :) It will be something I start a campaign on in the spring when we are more involved with our builders!

Training is 3 days (2 courses), very reasonably priced. It's not difficult - artistic genes don't hurt but this stuff is hard to mess up and if you do, it can be fixed.

Absolutely on the exterior use - look at the concrete overlay pictures - it's the same stuff just a different coloring technique and an epoxy coating instead of a matte sealer.

It's cool & awesome stuff.....check out the galleries on their site Decorative Concrete - Training Seminars - Synthetic Rock and Concrete Overlay - Puretexture.com

Celeste

Celeste,

this seems pretty amazing. for the exterior you could go over any concrete or solid surface. Thats pretty cool. I will do some more research on it for sure, something I think could do very well in my area.

What is the longevity on these products? Can they take abuse such as shoveling and high traffic?

Thanks.

I really would defer any questions of longevity in your climate to the guys at Pure Texture ( either Wesley or Dominic) We don't get the same conditions that you do so I can't say and I wouldn't want to tell you wrong. Down here, I personally guarantee my stuff indefinitely as long as they have the recommended maintenance done every two years. Talk about a great client retention :)

High traffic - yes - look at the floors in the bars, restaurants and dealerships :)

Good points Celeste, I will be contacting them soon. I was just outside with Bawston for 30 minutes. He is having a sumissive urination problem. Whenever he sees me or hears me upset, he lies on his back and pees on himself. I have been reading that he sees me at the alpha male and strongly feels the need to be submissive whenever he sees me again or when we do our trainings. Completely house broken, just pees when he sees me. Hope that gets better.

Thanks agian for the info.

Hello,

Well, I just bought my wife a new Pathfinder for New Years - we needed it anyways - so in return, I get to redo the counter tops in the kitchen. Our house is a little over a year old and I can't stand the formica. I do a ton of cooking and want the granite look. We are also adding a 10foot by 28inch wide kidney island in the center to eat at and cook at.

My questions are these.

Does anyone have granite or other stone counter tops they like, don't like, etc. Problems with any. We are also considering the silvinsteen and similars engineered stone.

Granite is pricey but as are the others. In this area, the price is about $100 to $125 ft2 and we will have over 65 ft2 to do. So if anyone knows ways of saving money that would be great as well.

Any help or advise or anything you can think of that would be of help, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

I have a buddy that has a granite shop here and I could get most stones fabbed plus pay cash for about $38/ft you could always get them fabbed down here, come get them and set them yourself. for $125 he would come up there and install them.

I am pumped. Found a guy to template and install the U Batuba granite that my wife likes for $45 per square foot. 4 grand less than everyone else. We decided for that price to have our bathrooms done as well. The 3 bathrooms are only going to cost another $900 plus sinks. Can't beat this guy.

The kitchen was done a few weeks ago, finally got around to doing the final pics. I installed the base cabinets myself and build out the pony walls, added some corbels and dressed it out with the ply backing and baseboard. The cabinets with the glass doors and the cabinets below I added as well. Sat 12 people at the island for dinner and all were comfortable. Total price for granite for the kitchen ended up being $3200 with sink and faucet, cabinets added $2200. Not a bad deal The granite guy was cheap and awsome. Ended up going with Saphire blue and brown over the Ubatuba and are very happy with it. Just wanted share.

post-1650-13777217606_thumb.jpg

post-1650-137772176063_thumb.jpg

post-1650-137772176065_thumb.jpg