Sign in to follow this  
douseahouse

van or truck

Question

this year i am looking to purchase either a work truck or van. i'm currently pulling a trailer and i feel like it's time to upgrade. i like the idea of a van because of the great advertising space available on the sides. i also like the fact that i can lock up all my equipment giving me protection from thieves and also protection from the weather. for those of you that have already crossed this path i would appreciate your input on what you purchased and why. what are the pros/cons to either?

thanks gang,

rando

7 answers to this question

If you want to get away from the trailer, buy a small straight truck or a stepvan.

The sides make great signs, there is plenty of room, and the payload is considerably higher than a van or pick-up if you buy right.

FWIW I have a flatbed trailer and a step-van, which is pretty cool for me and my smallish skid, but a larger skid that requires a float tank is in the future, and the 3/4 ton step van is too small.

I wish now that I had started with a dually stepvan, like the ups package trucks you see. I have to shuttle equipment back and forth from van to shop/garage pretty constantly all year, and wind up heating both.

I think a standard 1-ton van is too small inside to haul the range of equipment and spares, fuel, etc. that I like to keep with me on the job.

When I'm truck shopping, I usually start by reading up on Ebay motors and at Trucks For Sale at Truck Paper: Freightliner, International Trucks, Kenworth, Peterbilt, Mack trucks, dump trucks, dump trailers, used trailers for sale. . This helps me finetune my requirements, and see what the market in trucks is doing. It also helps me find deals I might not have available here in Omaha.

Hope this helps, and good hunting.

Randy,

If you do go with a van or a type of box truck. I would make sure you engine exhaust from you pressure washer is piped thru the floor. We go to a auto exhaust place that has pipe benders to make a custom fit. If you don't do this the exhaust soot will build up over time and it helps keep the heat out of the unit as well. Don't forget you are now in a confined space and you must have excellent ventalation to prevent fires.

After we buy these type of vehicles I usually have extra doors (small) installed for more ventalation.

Heat and gas tanks, and engines are not a good mix in a confined space. They can be safe if you do your homework.

yes, step vans are nice and roomy. unfortunately i need something that i can run my business and also use it for personal use also. i just don't have the luxury at the present to have a work and personal vehicle. that's where a cargo van may come in handy. if i get one i would want to get the extended version or the heavy duty type. i suppose i need to consider how much a tank of water/chemical weighs and also how to vent. a truck would come in hand there so any fumes would not be harmful. i'm still looking, thinking, and reading.

thanks,

rando

Rando, I am going to rid myself of my van this year and get an enclosed trailer. I want to still have the slab sides for advertizing space, but I also want to be able to drop the deadweight when necessary. I also like that if the truck breaks down, I can make the switch to arented or borrowed vehicle more easily.

Of course, having a heavy-duty plow pickup makes this idea more practical. My pickup is a beefed Chevy 1-ton, but the van is a 3/4 ton van chassis. When it is loaded, and I hitch the trailer, I have little suspension left, and steering getsa little dodgy. Not my favorite thing to deal with.

I think a pick-up and enclosed trailer combo sounds better for you, maybe a 3/4 ton suv, if you can find one.

I have a step van built on a P32 chassis. Box is tall enough to stand upright in, GVW about 10,200, enough room for a pW, hose reels, trash cans, clamps, plastic, chemical and room left over. The problem is 6-8 mPG. At the price of gas, that eats into the profit. I am going to put hte E250 into service for hood work. Check the want ads, those vans go for $1,000 used.

I vote for box truck also.I have an 18' UD diesel box truck with a 17k gvwr.I still run out of room.I have two hot water skids in there,a 550 gal fresh water tank,330 gal recovery tank,10k watt watercooled kohler generator,wash water vacuum recovery and filtration system,stacked pressure,and supply hose reels,and a vacuum hose reel.I have every bit of space utilized,and the walls are covered with shelves and brackets to hold all the wands,lances,surface cleaners,hood cleaning equipment etc.I still won't fill the fresh water tank up all the way due to the water weight,but a box truck is the way to go in my opinion.I also have a 1 ton dodge extended van that I am setting up for just Kitchen exhaust cleaning and air duct cleaning.I got a great deal on the van,that had a lot of money put into it(rebuilt engine,new tranny,starter,alt etc.),and the previous owner went out of business and needed to sell it quick. I had a previous business and went through cube van after cube van,before I bought my first diesel box truck,and would never go back.They are built to haul the weight,the diesel engines far outlast gas engines,and the exhaust brake saves your brakes,which are way more heavy duty than van brakes to begin with.The cabover box trucks drive like a car,are quiet,and your not riding with your equipment hearing it rattle around and smelling the fumes from your equipment and chemicals.The only down side to a cab over box truck,is havingto pull into weigh scales and DOT check points that you usually can drive right by with a standard van.I have also been driving tractor trailers for over 20 years so I am use to dealing with DOT checks,but if you get the wrong DOT guy looking to write a bunch of tickets that day it can be expensive! This past summer I pulled into a Dot check in upstate NY with a tractor trailer,and was inspected and no violations were discovered.Two days later I was pulled into a DOT check in PA (near my home),and a gung ho,I'm going to be promoted to captain in a week type pain in the a$$ DOT inspector, inspected me for over 2 hours ,and wrote me 8 non-sense tickets totalling over $1100 ,he was climbing around in my cab,counting the fuses in my fuse box,borrowed a bottle of windex from me,I thought to clean his goggles,instead he went over every airline and fitting for the air brakes spraying it with windex trying to find an air leak(he found none.).I took the tickets to court and got 5 of the 8 tickets thrown out,but it still cost me $500 and a lost day of work. I found out through a friend of mine who knows that DOT guy ,that he is an overtime hound,and he put's in for all kinds of overtime(he's out inspecting trucks on holidays,weekends etc.),and he writes tons of tickets to justify his overtime,and most out of state companies don't contest them,they just pay them.So as you can see ,DOT inspections are something to think about with the box truck route. I understand that you need it for your personal vehicle also so a box truck really does not fit the bill right now,but if there is any way you could swing it,like maybe buy a cheap personal vehicle to just run around in ,I would go the box truck route.Good luck with what ever you decide.

PS.Don't let my DOT rant deter you from a box truck,that DOT guy was just way over the top,most are not bad if you keep your truck maintained.