Sign in to follow this  
Christopher

changing out swivel on hose reel that has a spring next to the swivel

Hello Everyone, I am posting this in several boards to try to get the answer. I have a couple of hose reels that look identical to the Rapid Reel brand but there is a spring between the swivel and the hose reel. I cannot get my wrench in there to unscrew the swivel. Is there a trick to this or a special tool needed? Thanks for any help.

Hello Everyone, I am posting this in several boards to try to get the answer. I have a couple of hose reels that look identical to the Rapid Reel brand but there is a spring between the swivel and the hose reel. I cannot get my wrench in there to unscrew the swivel. Is there a trick to this or a special tool needed? Thanks for any help.

What is the Brand?

How about some pictures to explain what it looks like - I have some Rapid reels and they have a big outside C-Clip keeping them together?

Rob

The easiest way is to take the snap ring off the outside and slide the outer part of the swivel off. You can then get to the wrench flats which will unscrew the swivel body from the reel tube. Then you must remove the hose from the back of the swivel body.

The easiest way is to take the snap ring off the outside and slide the outer part of the swivel off. You can then get to the wrench flats which will unscrew the swivel body from the reel tube. Then you must remove the hose from the back of the swivel body.

Rus

From what I understand - his does not have the snap ring like the Rapid Reel - I can't really imagine how its put together without the ring.

On the Rapid Reel without removing the snap ring to change the hose is firstly quite difficult and you stand a chance of bending/breaking your swivel off the live center.

I hope he sends some pictures and we could advise him how to do it.

Rob

Interestingly, I had to replace the swivel on a high-pressure HydroTek reel today. The sides of the reel slant outward so that it is not possible to get a wrench between the reel and the swivel. There is no ring, the 3/8" screws directly to the reel. My local Landa dealer had an offset open-end wrench from a 30's era Ford that did the trick.