Sign in to follow this  
seymore

See the Difference in Cedar & Pressure Treated Pine??

Question

I still can't believe the fence builder tried to pass these boards off as cedar! rolleyes.gif The fence was cleaned with bleach/soap and rinsed with water hose.

cedarptfenceou4.jpg

cedarptfence2qk0.jpg

11 answers to this question

I have noticed shane when I switched from straight bleach, well diluted bleach to clean decks with - to bleach with tsp - that I no longer got that unnatural 'whitening' that I hear others talk about. Then I learned that tsp darkens the wood and bleach lightens - so the two cancel out. The boards on the left look like cedar to me.

Te gate is the only cedar boards on the front section of the fence or on the close up pic on the left.

There are a few ways to tell the difference....If you look closely you can see how tight the knots are on the boards on either side of the gate that are PT boards.You can also take your fingernail and flick the the edge of the boards and hear the difference.There will be a deeper thumping sound on the PT boards that are more dense and heavier.Also you can just knock on the boards with your fist and hear the diffrence.

I guess its the toning and silvering (as well as the texture appearance) that is throwing me off. I've seen higher grades of cedar with very tight knots. Definitely too hard to tell from pictures. Since you were right there Shane and could feel the difference I have to defer to your wisdom. I deal with these two woods every day and cannot tell from pictures. I guess the contractor figured the HO would never know the difference?

Nice job, Shane hope you did not kill that Dolphin spraying the Love about. LOL

*No animals were harmed during the cleaning of this fence * :D