Sign in to follow this  
mas3372

Vonage

Question

15 answers to this question

Just a couple quick observations about Vonage, anecdotal at best:

My business consultant that helped me get started had just switched to Vonage when I met him. He was nearly impossible to reach except on his cell. I wondered how smart a guy he could possibly be if this was the best service he could get.

My friend Wayne (WEW) from Tampa hasn't chimed in here, but I remember him telling me he hated the service.

Look at their ads, don't the people giving testimonials look like the price-shopping crowd we all despise estimating (much less working) for. The testimonials just reek of, "I'm getting XX months free service for standing here in front of a coffee shop I don't patronize, lying about my service."

Last and not least, if the power is out, so is your phone. 911 service is problematic, although I hear they have some clunky fixes now, and better coming.

I hope this is helpful, because I don't relish being so negative. I just haven't any glowing, or even mildy positive, anecdotes about Vonage. I suspect somebody else will refine this product and do better with it.

I did some research at work today and come to find out, a bunch of guys I work with have it and love it. Amazing how opinions can vary so much. It dosn't cost much to try and there is no commitment, maybe I will give it a shot. Anyone else have an experience.

Guys,

I can't comment on their customer service, but as a professional network guy I can tell you that VoiP is like AM radio. Under the right conditions, it is great. Under bad conditions, it is intolerable. Somewhere in the middle is reality. That's why you see that some people here hate it, and others love it.

As a technology, VoIP/Vonage is a proven entity. I use a non-telephone Voip channel daily. Whether or not VoIP works for you, only you can answer.

I have had it for about 4 months now...and I love it. I also have an (800) through them for $5/month...

if power goes out, you can transfer it to any phone that you want...You can check your voicemail from anywhere you can get on the internet....it has tons of cool features. I haven't had an issue with customer service yet, so I can't really comment on that, but I love it and it has saved me tons of money already.

wife & i were also tired of BS (that's Bell South) monthly $60 for local call access... then the taxes, network charges, etc... so we did the V thing 7 months ago... no prob's or issues, line seem clear as w/ other & it is only $25 mo. Next day delivery, 10 min's to hook up to cable modem (required) kept our same # & can call anywhere in US, anytime FREE... #800 service is a plus too.. other phone co's try to beat the objectives advt'g that "no power", no service, but we ALL have cell phones nowadays, & we also keep that plug in phone from 5 years ago just in case... the 911 is something they will eventually have working.... just another opinion... david

Scary timing on this thread! I just signed up last night. My BS account runs around $350/mo, Vonage is $50? I checked them out with several friends and they love it. I'll give it a try.

Kevin Whitley

Advanced DuraLast

770-888-7927

I have had it only a short time but like i said, so far, so good. Sounds is much clearer than landline and I like all the features. Best part, if you don't like it, there is no commitment.

We have had it for over 2 years now and about 98% of the time we are happy. The other 2% is issues with vonages system, our internet provider, or a power outage.

We have 6 lines through them, 5 phone and 1 fax (plus one 800#).

We have no sound issues, but then again we have pretty fast/large connection.

We have saved $1000's over the years...

The support can be bad, but you just have to request to speak to someone else and then you should be fine (the 1st person is usually the call center they have thats not in the US).