Sign in to follow this  
jnoden

inverter vs generator

I have a battery on my deckster that always needs charged, one on my pw and I will probably soon have one on a new hot box. A side from that, it happens often enough that an electrical outlet isnt working at a customers house when you really need it.

I was looking at generators when I stumbled on to inverters and imediately began wondering why I dont hear about its use more than I do about generators on this forum. Even if I had to keep my truck running the whole time i think it would be more worth it if they work well. It cost less, quieter, no moving parts, no gas. What is the negative of using an inverter over a generator on a work site?

I think I would like to convert my deckster to AC and get an AC hot box and hook my pw up to a inverter so I never need to worry about batteries. Has anyone else done this? I saw that there are cheap inverters (probably junk) and some that have 3-4 outlets and cost several hundred dollars.

While on this topic, I also want to ask if it hurts to hook up a battery charger to your deckster when the battery is dead and use it as the power source. I had to do it several times and it works.

A customer of mine uses an inverter to run his hot box, but it's the European style with the small motor. He wanted to use a hot box I have, but mine's got a full sized Wayne burner on it, and the inverter wouldn't get it started.

The problem with inverters is that some of the lesser expensive ones don't produce a true sine wave ac current which can mess up some of the components in sensitive electronics. Regular motors don't have much electronics built into them so they are safe to be used with an inverter. Only problem is you need to be running your vehicles engine to avoid draining the battery which is more than likely not a deep cycle battery. These can be run down by leaving the radio on for just a few hours which consumes about the same amps as a pump motor.

A generator is a better solution if you have the demand and the room for it in your vehicle. A cheaper alternative is to get a dc pump. If the battery dies on the site, you can always hook it up to your vehicle and run the pump while charging it through the vehicles charging system. You just need to have plenty of hose to run from the vehicle to where you are working.

We are going to be setting up a 200' hose system this season that will be vehicle mounted. (no more carrying 5 gal pails and sprayer units with all the equipment it entails around.) The nice part of this is that if the battery dies, the van has a super battery system and 2-12v outlets at 20amps @ I can plug into.

Rod!~

The outlets on your van must come in handy, I would like to hook something like that up. Rod I hear what you are saying about carrying around buckets and hoses. It doesnt take long before that gets old.

If you have a chance, here is an inverter I was looking at Motor Trend Power Inverter 3000 Watt, Model# MPTI-1/4156 |Inverters | Northern Tool + Equipment

if i do get it Im going to wire and mount it under my truck near the trailer wire hook up. Seems like it would work but I dont feel like always having my truck running while using a sander or something. I wonder if A beefier battery in my truck would do the trick.

Then again you got me reconsidering just getting a generator. Decision decisions.

This sweet little option is built in my bed as a part of toyota's TRD package 400W/115V.It does come in handy when my batteries run low.I do carry 2 or 3 extra batteries for my 2 pumps

Why don't you just carry more than one battery?

post-658-137772173247_thumb.jpg

A 3000w inverter would put out about 1500w, as they are quoted at surge power. I tried a 2000w inverter on my boat for a 750w microwave hooked to 2 type 31 batteries, it did not work. Besides a good 3000+w inverter is about $600 same cost of a 2000w generator. The longer your feed line wire the more you lose in power from your battery.

The generators installed on 120 volt burner equipped machines are 2,000 to 2,500 watt. Once the burner is running, it will only use 500 watts to keep going, but needs all of 2,000 watts to start. If you've ever been around 120 volt skids, when the burner is switched "on", there is a noticeable drag in the engine until the governor kicks out a couple more horsepower. Once the burner starts, everything's back to normal. Get the generator, you'll be much happier.