Sign in to follow this  
Curb Appeal

need fencing help

Question

First let me preface this post by saying that I have read all of the posts on chlorine vs. everything else to clean fences. However, most of those threads are geared with the staining of the fence after cleaning in mind.

This a CLEANING ONLY job. No stain on it now, nor will I be putting one on.

Went to give a bid on this fence today. I have a couple of days to get the bid in but I need some help first.

First, I had a hard time determining if this fence was cedar or PT. Can anyone tell from the pics? I'm thinking cedar. does it even matter if I'm not staining it?

Second, as this will be a cleaning only job, I want the color of the wood to be as natural as possible after I wash it. With that said, (here it goes...) chlorine or SH w/brightner or something else?

This job is for a PM that is always looking at the bottom line. I want this to be a spray on wash off deal. It's about 4400 sq. ft. and I'm thinking $.36/sq. ft. to clean only.

Please help me out guys. There is much more work where this came from. I'm moving my business toward PM companies and this is a foot in the door with this one.

Thanks as always....

post-1355-137772173546_thumb.jpg

post-1355-137772173555_thumb.jpg

post-1355-137772173562_thumb.jpg

22 answers to this question

Joel, write Shane. Better yet call him. Don't be shy. He's always eager to help.

I don't know if you clean roofs. But if you did, you may want to give the HOA President a good price on one.

Even with materials extra that looks a little low on the price end

Thats a dirty fence

Is your 4440 number including both sides?

How many linear feet is it

I'm only doing the outside. 750 Lft x 5.75 ft +- high.

You think that's low?

Joel, write Shane. Better yet call him. Don't be shy. He's always eager to help.

I don't know if you clean roofs. But if you did, you may want to give the HOA President a good price on one.

Just spent an hour on the phone with Shane (thanks Shane!). I'm still on the fence :) about what to use. F-18+Ox or Chlorine. I guess the best way to make up my mind is to use both and see which one I like best...

But I'm always open to suggestions...

Since you're going to clean it anyway, wouldn't it make sense to apply a sealer? I'm not a wood guy, but it seems like after it was sealed it would stay cleaner longer.. thus keeping cleaning cost down for your "bottom line" PM. I also agree with RCBill, those roofs are going to grin at you once you've got the fence nice and clean.

Since you're going to clean it anyway, wouldn't it make sense to apply a sealer? I'm not a wood guy, but it seems like after it was sealed it would stay cleaner longer.. thus keeping cleaning cost down for your "bottom line" PM. I also agree with RCBill, those roofs are going to grin at you once you've got the fence nice and clean.

I tried to get them to stain it but their budget would not allow it.

There are 76 homes in the subdivision. EVERY ONE of the roofs look like that. Most of the houses need attention too. Rest assured, my proposal includes a special offer to the homeowners to clean the roofs, houses, gutters, driveways and sidewalks as well...

I'm only doing the outside. 750 Lft x 5.75 ft +- high.

You think that's low?

Is chem included in that cost?

It's hard to estimate since it's only one side and only cleaning and I don't know your market, but maybe you could try like 2.50/foot. Get you a few hundred more bucks

0.36 just doesn't seem right. Where'd you get it from?

Thanks for the plug Bill appreciate that :cool:

I saw the thread and just called Joel and just called him and talked for a while instead of typing.It was cool talking to him and just from our phone conversation i have no doubt he could clean this fence.It's a lot of work but not really that hard but having a helper will make a world of difference.

I just hope i can help Joel talk them into staining the fence.I know they don't like spending lots of $$ but maby they might go for cleaning now and staining next month?? They are budgeted for so much$$ a month so making them to understand the benefit to stain the fence to save $$ in the long run is the key.They are wasting their $$ since they would have to do this allover again in a few years!

Just spent an hour on the phone with Shane (thanks Shane!). I'm still on the fence :) about what to use. F-18+Ox or Chlorine. I guess the best way to make up my mind is to use both and see which one I like best...

But I'm always open to suggestions...

No prob Joel and feel free to call me anytime!

That price is too cheap. You should at least charge .75 per sq. ft. I would downstream stripper on it, wash it at 800 psi. then downstream a brightener on it, then, see ya. Using stripper will cut your wash time in half while improving the final result immensely.

Good luck, PM's are all really cheap.

That price is too cheap. You should at least charge .75 per sq. ft. I would downstream stripper on it, wash it at 800 psi. then downstream a brightener on it, then, see ya. Using stripper will cut your wash time in half while improving the final result immensely.

Good luck, PM's are all really cheap.

I know what you saying Jarrod using stripper would make cleaning faster but he would have to brighten so 2 steps needed.It would help to have a helper to brighten as he p/washes.So since he's a one man show if he just bleaches and only p/wash then no need to use oxalic.

Why i will bleach instead strip some times like on a job like this you now have to worry more about protecting what's behind the fence.You would still have to have access to all yards to rinse plants etc.

I would price this job by Lft. so 740 Lft x2.00=$1480 So to make it even and give a little discount i'll make it $1400

This fence could be cleaned in 1 day 8-10 hrs with a helper hoping there is not too much crap behind the fence to move or protect.

Also remember this job can lead to more jobs so over bid yourself and give him a good deal since you're just starting out.Still trying to talk him into staining the fence later.

We would clean that with a percarb and then neutralize it. Would I raise the price? Yes. Look at your demographics before you do though if you are not familiar with your area so that you learn about your consumers there.

Beth :cup:

Is chem included in that cost?

It's hard to estimate since it's only one side and only cleaning and I don't know your market, but maybe you could try like 2.50/foot. Get you a few hundred more bucks

0.36 just doesn't seem right. Where'd you get it from?

No, Chem is not included in that cost. I talked to Bob last night too and chems will cost me about $30 for 6lbs of F-18 plus some Ox that I already have on hand.

At $.36/sq. ft., that comes to about $1584. I figure 1 day's worth of work.

I got my pricing from reading all of the posts on cleaning fences and from here:

http://forums.thegrimescene.com/wood-cleaning-restoration-decks-fences-etc/1686-fence-restoration-prices.html?highlight=fence

As for my market, I really don't know what it will bear. This is a 15 year old subdivision on the border between 2 of the wealthiest cities in the mid-state, Brentwood and Franklin. But, the houses are smallish and packed in here like sardines. And judging by the condition of the houses, the homeowners don't spend a lot on the maintenance of their homes. There really aren't too many PWers in my area and even less who will do wood. I'll see if I can get the PM to tell me what the other bids were...

If you get it done in a day, you'll probably be in good shape. But that seems like a lot of fence for one day. Do you have your own water source (tank)? Do you have 400 feet of hose or will you have to move around? If your using spigots, you'll have to move your hookup several times

Hows your chem being applied?

If you get it done in a day, you'll probably be in good shape. But that seems like a lot of fence for one day. Do you have your own water source (tank)? Do you have 400 feet of hose or will you have to move around? If your using spigots, you'll have to move your hookup several times

Hows your chem being applied?

Yes, I do have a tank. 2 300 gal tanks in fact. I use 200 ft of hose so I'll have to move a couple of times. I'll be using my 5GPM Delevan to apply chems.

I will have a helper that day too...

My lovely assistant (and fiancee)...Steph.jpg

I know what you saying Jarrod using stripper would make cleaning faster but he would have to brighten so 2 steps needed.It would help to have a helper to brighten as he p/washes.So since he's a one man show if he just bleaches and only p/wash then no need to use oxalic.

That's why I said to downstream the brightener on. No helper needed. Downstreaming that whole fence would only add 20 - 30 minutes to the entire job.

Isn't this a type of job most guys would use percarbs for? I am a bleach/tsp kind of guy. But I have tried the percarb route as well for cedar fences - and it has worked good. Although I haven't experimented enough - is it you can't get strong enough solution to downstream? Or perhaps you have to backbrush to make it work better? I have tried bleach/tsp, stripper, and the percarb route - and they all seemed to have worked well. Some companies sell their oxalic/surfactant products as a one step solution to clean up stuff like this. So many chemicals...so little time