Sign in to follow this  
Mountain View

Quick Fence Price Question

Question

Situation-New Cedar fence.

How many of you clean or treat the new wood prior to applying stain? I haven't seen it yet (email enquiry) but I'm assuming that because it's a fence, it will be a rough cut surface. I have other questions I need to ask the client (surrounding neighbors, plants, etc) but I was just wondering what would be a ballpark figure per sq. ft. you kind folks would start at? It's a bit of a drive from my house so I want to pre qualify as much as poss.

Thnx

1 answer to this question

The primary reason we wash any and all wood before sealing is because of the exposure. Wood being installed is not pristine and in some cases it may have also been immersed in a 4-6% wax solution to protect it while being warehoused and in transit.

Once lumber gets to the job site for installation, it has been exposed to road debris, exhaust fumes, humidity, pollen and spores. These elements need to be removed in order to get the best look and performance out of the product being installed.

If not removed, these elements can interact with the sealers ingredients and create color changes along with the sealer migration below the surface taking these elements deeper into the wood with it. If the product does not contain sufficient mildewcides, the problem can be exacerbated by application alone.

The most important reason to do it is because your companies reputation is being built upon each and every job you do. The results speak for themselves and the person making a decision on whether or not to hire you will depend highly on what they see you produce.

Time will also be either your friend or foe based upon how well you do the job. This is the way we approach each and every job because our business and the family it supports depends on it. We left corporate america because we were tired of being other less scrupulous people's stepping stones. In our business we have the chance each and every day to make things better without anyone holding us back.

Now, regarding price. This is something of a grey area and the ways people go about it are different. Some price by the linear foot, others by the sqft and will base the price upon one side or both sides of the fence being cared for.

Delco has a guide to start from:

Delco's pricing guide

6' Privacy Fences: Clean and Seal:

Method 1: $3.00 to $6.00 per linear foot per side for the first 60 feet. Over 60 feet discount 20 %, over 160 feet discount 30%.

Method 2. $0.80 to $1.25 per square foot. Over 400 SqFt discount 20%, over 1,000 SqFt discount 30%, over 2,000 SqFt discount 40%.

I hope this helps.

Rod!~