Sign in to follow this  
PowerWashPro

Good weather

Question

We finally had a few 60 degree days in a row so I was able to get out back and do my deck. It's been in the 30's forever. Just wondering when everyone else starts doin decks and fences . Also wanna know how long it takes the average person per square foot . My deck had some real bad buildup on it so it took me over an hour to do 200 sq feet not to mention it was real windy out. I was using a 4gpm unit.

5 answers to this question

Steven,

You are lucky, much too cold here in central NJ. We usually start on exterior wood the last week in March or first week in April. Jobs can be cleaned and stripped before then but the low temps. just do not allow the wood to dry out enough for stain application.

Never tried to do a sq. ft./minute calculation, but on average, maybe 75 sq. ft / hour? This includes all prep and stain application. Varies greatly from job to job.

We do keep track of how many sq ft per hour we wash, and each job we do the work order is written up and the crew told how long we estimate the job should take based upon the size and the footage we have measured.

I agree that 75 sq ft per hour is a good starting point. Over time with technique you will get faster. It is important to know how fast you are working. Know your deck measurements so you have your footage, and time yourself. Now if this seems ridiculous think about this.... Time is money.

1. employees make an hourly wage
  2. regardless of if it is your own personal labor or you have to pay someone you spend more in labor as each moment passes
  3. your square footage is a key factor in determining job costs
  4. if you don't know material costs you don't know how much profit you made

Time and materials are really important. Keep asking questions. :)

Beth

About 125sq ft an hr for us .And the decks havent started for me yet.So now im resorting to commercial work till the decks start coming.I have a system that i use and its a proven one for me .Of course i run double hose set up.experience comes with patience and more experience

Well we went from good weather to 8 inches of snow. So doing my wood retaining wall will have to wait . It's a monster and I'll post some b4 and after pics when it gets nice out again this week .Good ole global warming for ya. I'd love to know about that double hose set up to steve, I sent you a PM.