Sign in to follow this  
Curb Appeal

Gotta love these slideshows

Question

14 answers to this question

Here's a building I cleaned today. I gave the PM a big discount on this one building so he wouldn't have to run it past the HOA board. This building has 3 units in it. There are 126 other units in the complex. The HOA meets next week...

I love my job...

Sky Album--Cottages of Lavergne

Very nice Joel, Go get that work. How long did it take I bet you still made decent money and now the PM knows what you can do and has something he can show the HOA

Love that slideshow, wish I knew how to do all that fancy stuff, hell I have trouble with sending an email LOL

Very nice and best of luck in 2007

Life is GOOD!

JL

Very nice Joel, Go get that work. How long did it take I bet you still made decent money and now the PM knows what you can do and has something he can show the HOA

Love that slideshow, wish I knew how to do all that fancy stuff, hell I have trouble with sending an email LOL

Very nice and best of luck in 2007

Life is GOOD!

JL

Took me 2 hours & charged $250. But that's with some old leftover love I had. Will take less time to do the rest of them with a fresh drum. I figure about 30 min per unit. That works out to around 60 hours or so by myself. We'll see... That would be nice since my bid was just over $16K.

Here's a pic of the complex. All of the buildings inside the red line except for the big blotch. That's some older rental units. Does the price sound right to you?

post-1355-137772175236_thumb.jpg

Hey all,

I got a reply back from the PM on this property. It seems that another company underbid me. This is a company that advertises in the coupon magazine for $99 house washes. They also were the ones who washed the complex last time and the PM said that they killed a few plants.

The PM said that he would rather use me but the HOA is wanting to go with the lower price. My bid was just over $16K for 130 units in 33 buildings. That works out to around $484 per building. This other company has bid $200 per building (or so the PM says)! That's almost $10K less than me.

My question is how would it look to come off of my price? I can't come down to $200 per building, but I might be able to come off of it some. Or should I just let it go and let them suffer the consequences and wait for them to come to me next time.

I could really use the work, but I don't want to make myself and my company look bad in the process.

Any advice would be helpful...

Hey all,

I got a reply back from the PM on this property. It seems that another company underbid me. This is a company that advertises in the coupon magazine for $99 house washes. They also were the ones who washed the complex last time and the PM said that they killed a few plants.

The PM said that he would rather use me but the HOA is wanting to go with the lower price. My bid was just over $16K for 130 units in 33 buildings. That works out to around $484 per building. This other company has bid $200 per building (or so the PM says)! That's almost $10K less than me.

My question is how would it look to come off of my price? I can't come down to $200 per building, but I might be able to come off of it some. Or should I just let it go and let them suffer the consequences and wait for them to come to me next time.

I could really use the work, but I don't want to make myself and my company look bad in the process.

Any advice would be helpful...

If you were off by $20- $50 a building I'd say talk to the PM but off$284, let the other guy have it and let them deal with the results.

Dont give up on that PM , but check your pricing. you said you did the 1st building for $250 and it took you 2 hours, so why was your next bid almost double that price. I believe in getting the most you can but $484 for 2 hours work is nice but for condo complexes that just might be to much. Yes you should be able to get $484 a building, but thats not always the real world

I'm just trying to explain it how I see it, if you want the work you have to be within the competetive rates of your area

Good luck

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. To tell you the truth, the more I think about it, the more I think my bid was too high. I was basing it on other, smaller complexes that I've done. This is the first job for this PM and I came down on my Ln. Ft. price but I don't think I came off of my price enough for the size of the complex and the amount of work.

I'll come down some & see if they bite...

Thanks Jeff. To tell you the truth, the more I think about it, the more I think my bid was too high. I was basing it on other, smaller complexes that I've done. This is the first job for this PM and I came down on my Ln. Ft. price but I don't think I came off of my price enough for the size of the complex and the amount of work.

I'll come down some & see if they bite...

Its hard to figure pricing sometimes. I have a problem trying to figure by linear ft, there's just to many variables in condo complexes. Some buildings or complexes are easy and some are hard. I figure just about all by time and what I have learned of what the going rate is. The $200 is to low, but your price is to high, but you just cant win sometimes if they HOA is going for price alone and you have this guy thats low all the time.

I hate to lose a bid by a little, but when its ridiculously low like this was, I dont feel as bad

No matter if you came off price $200 each they probably will still go with this shmuck. Talk to the PM about the next job, tell him to keep you on his bid list and you'll tweek your pricing

Its hard to figre like i said, I still have problems and wonder on pricing, theres no magic formula on pricing I wish there was

Good luck

Jeff

Joel,

Great work,great slideshow!

I don't know your market,but I know mine.

On residential (which I qualify this as),I use a base price of 100.00 per story.Then evaluate acess challenges,obstacles etc,then price accordingly.Even here, $250.00 per bdg might be a hard sell.

Now I am still learning ,so maybe I am way off.Could you profit at $200.00 per building?

At $200 per building it would be close. I'd have to bust it and if I ran into any stubborn spots, I'd loose. Most of my residential I start at $1/ln. ft. for 1 story and $2/ln. ft. 2 story and add to that for complications.

My last 2 complexes, I charged $2.65/ln. ft. plus $.70/ln. ft. for gutters but that was for another PM company. Looks like every PM and PM company may be different...

Now I'm thinking $325 per building...