Sign in to follow this  
Lightning Gene

Aluminum Roof Help

Question

I have a new construction very expensive aluminum roof to clean.It has been coated with brick or mortor dust and discolored the brown to a dust color that I cannot find anything to take it off and restore to original condition.It is also very steep but I have a 50 ft snokel lift that can get me fairly close.The only way I got it somewhat clean was on a test patch was hand scrubbing it with roof cleaner...Anyone ever ran into this problem and have a solution to this problem? Thx....in....Advance

7 answers to this question

Well I think it was dust from hand cutting every rock for this house front.Thanks for your fast reply.Will keep trying different solutions unless someone has had this before...The mason may have to buy a new roof.....

Try using Sodium Hydroxide. Most cleaning supply companies should be able to help you find Sodium Hydroxide mixed with suffacant.

Of coarse, be sure to do a test area first. Sodium Hydroxide is an alkaline (the opposite of acid). You must use it with safety in mind.

If it washes off and you are left with a dull finish take a look at Dakota AG Innovations, LLC.. This is used on dull finishes. I did a test yesterday on a faded Penski rental truck a guy had bought. You colud see where the old decals were and this stuff made it look like a new paint job. This might not be the answer for a new roof but worth a look.

Sodium Hydroxide will eat the aluminum and dull it by etching. Acids do this too but in a different way. It makes the aluminum turn shiney. Truck washing pro's use acids to bring back the luster to aluminum tanks and trailers but I am not versed in how.

Try a test patch and pre-wet the area adjacent to the mortar spills. Acids (phosphoric, oxalic and muratic acids will interact with the limestone in the mortar to dissolve it. Neutralize with bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) and plenty of water.

Rod!~