Sign in to follow this  
We Wash Concrete

Downstreamer Trouble

Some of you have helped me in a different thread about my downstreamer problems, but I thought it would be appropriate to start my own thread on it rather then hi-jacking.

My downstreamer stopped drawing chemical and Im not sure why. It worked great before, but just stopped. Im running with 150 foot of highpressure hose, using a dual lance wand with my 5.5 3000 psi hot water skid. I took the downstreamer apart to check on the ball and spring, which were both in good condition. I only run sodium hydroxide through it. I put on a brand new downstreamer on, and it still does not work. I reduced my hose to 50 feet with no results. So I bought an entire new dual lance wand, at the advice of there may be somthing lodged in the gun or wand, but that has not worked either. I do a lot of 3000SQ ft grocery store fronts and x-jetting is getting me by, but it was so much quicker to downstream. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

Hey Micah,

I dont have a hose reel, and my ds was on my machine and was not working. Jarrod told me to put a 6 ft whip hose on it to get it away from the pump and it worked just fine.

Hope this helps

Don

When this happens to me, I either replace the downstreamer (I carry several in my van) or replace the spring inside. I always replace the steel ball with ceramic before I ever use it - and they generally don't go bad.

One other possibility...there may be some gunk inside. Remove the downstreamer and make sure you can blow through it. Cover one end, blow through the other and air should come out the barb. If its adjustable, unscrew the adjuster and make sure that all holes are clear.

Check and make sure the ball is not stuck in the hose barb. I had that happen to me when I first started. I took the old injector off thinking it was bad and put a new one on and it wouldn't work either. The ball was "stuck" in both of them.

Since I only downstream - and I do it every day - I have encountered just about every possible difficulty with downstream injectors. You may have a new one, but I doubt it. Here are a few other possibilities: Try a different gun/wand. If there is any restriction in the gun/wand, it will increase backpressure and prevent drawing chem. Did you install new injector with the arrow pointed in the right direction? (Sorry, I had to ask.) Is there a blockage or hole in the downstreamer pick-up tube? Is the tube in the chem? (Had to ask that too.) With the tube removed, do you have suction at the barb? Hmm...I'll keep thinking.

If you look down inside the injector where the water flows through there is a ss nozzle inside there. You should be able to pull it out with either a hex wrench or flat head screwdriver. Make sure the nozzle is not worn out and nothing is lodged in the cavity where the venturi is created and then re-install the nozzle. Make sure it is in tight, some locktite for plumbing is helpful. Sometimes what will happen is the orifice will back out from vibration or the end will wear form chemicals and water flow. When this happens the gap the water crosses to create the venturi changes and the cavity fills up and there is no suction. Happens to me every once in a while.