Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

5000psi 4.5 GPM machine?

Hey I am looking at a Landa cold water machine, it's a beast with a 24hp honda motor - I am also looking at other machines. But this one is 5000psi and 4.5gpm's. After doing lots of research and talking to you guys - it seems that a machine like this is almost useless - but the salesman says it's a steal at $3600 - what do you guys think? And even for trying to remove paint from a home - is there much need for pressure in excess of 3000psi? Then the salesman said you could dual gun this machine and have two guys with 5000psi and 2.5gpm's each. Then I though wouldn't a 8.0gpm/3000psi machine better suit the needs of most pressure washing - and two guys with 3000 psi and 4.0gpms each more appropriate for house cleaning, etc?

what do you all think?

I think the only thing you could clean that would require 5000 psi would be steel? I would be affraid it would damage anything else. 2.5 gpm is about useless for most kinds of cleaning. You would be much better with the 8.0 gpm 3000 psi. In my opinion, you would even be better off with buying two of the $999 special 4.0 gpm 3000 psi machines.

Sometimes I wish I had 5000psi!!!

But I sure wouldn't get no where with 2-4 gpm.

I wish for 8-10 gpm at 5000psi.

That would be a get-r-dun pump, but I done checked them out and they don't fit in my pocket book!!

For regular washing forget the 5000 psi. get something with a lil bit more flow and less pressure.

You could change-out the pump for an 8 gpm/3000 psi pump - 24 hp is plenty to run it.I'm not sure if the price is right - it is a hot water machine, right? - and a new pump runs more than a few dollars (would they trade it out?).

Remember what you wrote....He is a Salesman. He is not a Professional Pressure Cleaner. He is trying to get you to buy something that he obviously does not have a clue about in the real world. You want the opposite...more gpm's and less psi. There is very little overall that you cannot clean with 3000psi. Ask them if they would change out the pump like John said to an 8gpm 3000psi. I would take it then, if not Pass.... Trying to clean with 2.5gpm is about the same as a car wash but a little more pressure. It would take MANY HOURS Longer to clean a regular house as compared with a Professional machine. I bet the salesman is counting on you to purchase it then you will return it and they will give you a lot less than what you paid since it is "Used" and only credit to another of their pieces of crap. In the end it is better to get something you can use. Shop around online. You might find something that is right for you at the right price.

It is a cold water machine - and it is a Landa - but 4.5 gpm's and 5000psi seems a little backwards for this industry, huh? I was looking at Mi-T-M's identical line of pressure washers - with the rollcage and all and 24hp motor, and they have the 4.5gpm5000 psi machine - but they have the option of going 3.7gpm's and 6000 psi with a different pump and same machine or 7.8gpms and 3000 psi. Anyways what do you all think of $3600 for a 24hp cold water landa machine?

I know Bob's machines well - just wanted more advice - especially on Landa machines. I guess even if I wanted to rip paint off a house - 5000 psi is so powerful - I would have to hold the wand far away from the wood - and then the GPM's just wouldn't be there - so I would be getting the worst of both worlds - but the machine perhaps is attractive for water sandblasting metal - which doesn't represent more than 1% of the work I do. But still it is an awesome machine - very heavy duty.

If it is cold water, you would be better off with two 5.5/3000i machines at about $1500/each new (belt drive).

if I wanted to rip paint off a house

Correction: if I wanted to rip SIDING off a house.

5000 psi is so powerful - I would have to hold the wand far away

Then you wouldn't be using 5000 psi would you.... :)

If it is cold water, you would be better off with two 5.5/3000i machines at about $1500/each new (belt drive).

Phillip can you tell me where you found these machines? Do you have a web address?

Remember what you wrote....He is a Salesman. He is not a Professional Pressure Cleaner. He is trying to get you to buy something that he obviously does not have a clue about in the real world. You want the opposite...more gpm's and less psi. There is very little overall that you cannot clean with 3000psi. Ask them if they would change out the pump like John said to an 8gpm 3000psi. I would take it then, if not Pass.... Trying to clean with 2.5gpm is about the same as a car wash but a little more pressure. It would take MANY HOURS Longer to clean a regular house as compared with a Professional machine. I bet the salesman is counting on you to purchase it then you will return it and they will give you a lot less than what you paid since it is "Used" and only credit to another of their pieces of crap. In the end it is better to get something you can use. Shop around online. You might find something that is right for you at the right price.

That pretty much sums it up.

Phillip can you tell me where you found these machines? Do you have a web address?

At that price, you have to keep you eyes open. They pop up locally from time to time. Take Pete's for example. He's got a 4000/4.0 for $1600 that could easily be retrofitted for 5.5/3000. Not that I am suggesting that a retrofit is cost effective, but rather to make the point that it is doable.