Sign in to follow this  
Christopher

Increasing Trailer Weight Capacity

Hello Everyone, I want to increase the weight capacity on my trailer as it is already maxed out. It is 7000 pounds when the tank is full of water. I called a trailer place and talked to them. They told me that I would need to change out the 3500lb. axles for 5000lb. axles. I talked to a good friend today and he told me that all I need to do is change out the springs or add springs. Has anyone done this? I only need about 2000 pounds extra capacity. Also do you need to inform the Department of Public Safety about the upgrade so you are legal? I need to do this soon. Any Advice? Thanks for any help.

Chris,

I had to do exactly that last month because with my water tank full(225 gallons) in my 18ft trailer my total weigth was well over 9000lbs. It was just a matter of time before I broke the axels and the consequences would have been terrible at best. I also carry a 465 gallon water tank in the back of my Dodge Dually so I'm hauling around some serious weight and for something to go wrong...well it could be deadly.

So because my trailer was completely set-up for what I need it for and its only two years old I had to open up my wallet to change out the axles and the wheels. With labor and all it was not Cheap.Along with the 4 new wheels and larger tires and the spare I paid about $2500 to have those 5000llb axles installed.

Its expensive but I figured I'd do it right instead of taking a risk and breaking those 3500lb axles. I take no short cuts in my business because to me its not worth the risk...

Good luck

You may get away with just changing the springs if you only carried the extra weight once in a while, but it's not worth it. If the axles were to break, you'd spend a LOT more in fixing the trailer, equipment, medical bills... Replace the axles, or use this as a good oportunity to upgrade to a new trailer.

Or, just put more air in the tires.

Adding springs will keep you level but not much else. I was quoted $1000.00 to change to 5200 lbs axles with new wheels and tires. Look for a place that does this on a regular basis, not someone looking to fill in their downtime and overcharging.

NY Overcharges for everything. I had this done at a huge trailer place in my town. I think the price for the two 5000lb axles alone where around $775, The 5 wheels with the tires cost about $750-$800(They were at least a $150 a piece) then add in the labor and the tax and it was a little over $2400..Probably a high price everywhere but on Long Island where everything is off the charts when it comes to anything here...We have to pay.

Do Not move here and ones who do get out while you can:sonic:

Thanks for the info. I had called the other day to the company that built the trailer and he explained to me the difference in the 4" C channel vs. 5" C channel, springs, axle ratings, Frame buildup, etc.... I will just reduce the weight on the trailer for now until I can purchase a heavier capacity trailer. Now looking at everything as I am moving things around for the new tank and Chemical Bandit, I could get by with a shorter trailer like a 12' instead of a 14'.